Permit Fact Sheet
- Who must apply?
Any party who has discharged or is discharging to a Class V closed-loop or direct exchange well as defined in 310 CMR 27.00 must apply unless exempted by 310 CMR 27.07. Also, any party that has a registered a Class V closed-loop or direct exchange well with the UIC Program for which ownership, number of wells, or construction details have or will change. The only types of Class V closed-loop ground source heat pump UIC wells not requiring UIC Registration are those associated with parcels of land that are only used for a single, one-unit residential dwelling with no additional non-residential land uses.
- What land use types must use this application?
This application form applies to all properties regardless of land use.
- What are the fees?
- No registration fee is required regardless of land use or the number of wells installed.
- If the Application is submitted for a Modification to an existing Registration there is no fee.
- There is currently no annual compliance fee associated with UIC Class V Wells.
- What regulations apply?
Regulations that apply primarily include, but are not limited to:
- Underground Injection Control Program, 310 CMR 27.00
- What other requirements must be considered?
All closed-loop and direct exchange (DX) ground source heat pump (GSHP) (geothermal) wells must conform to the MassDEP Guidelines for Ground Source Heat Pump Wells .
Applicants should consider the need to obtain the following permits or sanctions:
- Wetlands requirements should be checked through the local Conservation Commission.
- Local Board of Health requirements should be investigated.
- How long is the Registration valid?
The UIC registration will remain valid for the life of the program pending any future changes to the regulations and provided that the Owner /Operator submits a UIC Modification application when pertinent inventory information changes.
- How do I apply?
To submit an application to MassDEP, follow these steps:
- Complete the appropriate form - UIC Registration Application for Closed-Loop Ground Source Heat Pump Well. Include all specified information.
- Submit a UIC Registration Application for Closed-Loop Ground Source Heat Pump Well to the:
BRP UIC Program
One Winter Street, 5th floor
Boston, MA 02108
or email the completed form to: email@example.com.
- Retain a copy of the complete application package for your files.