Resource Conservation (RC) Planning Guidance file size 2MB
Payment Options: eDEP Online Filing
A TUR Plan is a document that provides both economic and technical evaluations of the toxics use reduction opportunities available to a company, and identifies those methods, if any, that the company intends to implement. The plan must contain:
- A corporate toxics use reduction policy statement;
- An assessment of how and in what quantities listed chemicals are used and generated as waste by the company;
- A list of available toxics use reduction options, evaluations of those that appear to be technically and economically feasible, and
- For those options to be employed, a description and implementation schedule.
The company is not obligated to submit the plan itself to the Department of Environmental Protection (MassDEP), but is required to obtain approval of the plan from a MassDEP-certified TUR Planner and provide the agency with a summary that includes a signed plan certification statement. The summary is then made available for public review.
A company that meets the definition of a Large Quantity Toxics User (LQTU) is required by the Toxics Use Reduction Act (TURA) to:
- Submit a toxics use report to MassDEP every year.
- Develop an initial toxics use reduction (TUR) plan and submit a summary to MassDEP the next even-numbered year after filing.
- Develop a TUR plan update every even-numbered year thereafter and submit a summary to MassDEP.
- Pay an annual toxics use fee.
Note: Once a company has completed an initial toxics use reduction plan and two plan updates, it can develop a resource conservation plan addressing water, energy, or materials use (allowed every other planning cycle) or implement an environmental management system (EMS) in lieu of a TUR plan provided the EMS addresses toxics.
Failing to file annual reports, develop plans or pay toxics use fees can result in MassDEP enforcement action, including financial penalties.
- Sample TUR Planning Forms
These are reference only. Do not submit. If you are unable to file online and need paper copies of forms, please contact Walter Hope of MassDEP: 617-292-5982 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Environmental Management Systems (EMS) Planning Guidance
- Resource Conservation (RC) Planning Guidance file size 2MB
- Operational Areas for Use in TURA Resource Conservation Planning
- Toxics Use Reduction Planning Compliance Assistance Update
- See the following regulations at Toxics & Hazards Regulations & Standards :
310 CMR 50.00: Reporting, Planning & TUR Planners
301 CMR 40.00: TURA Fees
301 CMR 41.00: TURA Chemicals
Official copies may be purchased online, in person, or by mail at the Massachusetts State Bookstore
People also viewed...
You recently viewed...
Personalization is OFF. Your personal browsing history at Mass.gov is not visible because your personalization is turned off. To view your history, turn your personalization on.
Learn more on our .
*Recommendations are based on site visitor traffic patterns and are not endorsements of that content.