Effective January 2, 2015, new Massachusetts Department of Environmental Protection (MassDEP) Underground Storage Tank (UST) Regulations (310 CMR 80.00) address the registration, installation, operation, maintenance, closure and inspection of UST systems used to store petroleum fuels and hazardous substances. The new MassDEP rules replace DFS regulations at 527 CMR 9.00, which were rescinded on January 1, 2015. Although the fundamentals of the program remain the same, the new regulations do contain some important new requirements.
- 310 CMR 80.00: Underground Storage Tank (UST) Regulations
Including January 2015 amendments.
- 310 CMR 80.00: MassDEP Response to Public Comments
- Fact Sheet: New MassDEP Underground Storage Tank (UST) Rules
A summary of the new regulations, including discussion of requirements that remain the same and those that are new or different.
- Frequently Asked Questions: 310 CMR 80.00
Updated in April 2016 to include revisions to the section on monthly visual inspections.
- Enforcement Discretion: Installation Testing
Through June 1, 2017, MassDEP will not enforce the requirement for piping to be tested before putting regulated substance in the tank.
- Joint DFS/MassDEP Memo on UST Requirements - December 31, 2014
Explains to local fire departments and UST facility owner/operators how the revised State Fire Code intersects with the new MassDEP UST regulations.
- Presentation: MassDEP UST Owner/Operator Workshops, Winter 2015 file size 2MB
- Presentation: MassDEP UST Third-Party Inspector Workshops, Winter 2015 file size 2MB