Visit the exam web site and follow the prompts to complete registration and payment steps for the exam.
MassDEP UST Operator Exams are temporarily unavailable. For more information, please email dep.UST@state.ma.us or call (617) 556-1053.
Register as a New User.
- You will have the option of registering as an individual or under a company name.
- If you are a UST owner/operator who will be paying for your employees' exams, call 888-951-3456 to establish an administrative account.
- If your employer will be paying for your exam, obtain registration and payment details from the company before you start.
Enter Your Details
Enter Facility Details (optional)
Enter Contact Details
- Although it is not a mandatory field on the exam web site, MassDEP requests that you provide a primary telephone number in case we need to contact you.
Account Details will provide a username and you will be asked to enter a password (any combination of six to eight letters and numbers that you choose).
- You will immediately receive an email message confirming these details. If you do not, please re-check your Contact Details to ensure you entered your email address correctly.
- Click Create an Account
Accept the Terms & Conditions
Available Programs: Select Operator Examination
- Select State: Massachusetts
- Select Operator Type: A, B, A/B or Reciprocity
- Select OK to attest to your identity
Select Buy to purchase the exam.
Complete the Payment Screen and select Make Payment.
- Enter credit card information if you are paying for your own exam, OR
- Enter the correct "token" or "password" if your company is paying your exam fee.
Once you complete registration and pay your fee, you:
- Should keep the email confirming your username and password for future login if you will not be taking the exam immediately,
- Have 30 days to start your exam, and
- Will need to complete your exam within the allotted running time once you begin.
The Back arrow will allow you to go back to previous pages during Registration only. Once you begin taking the exam, this feature will be disabled. You will NOT be able to return to previous screens.
TAKE YOUR EXAM
Exams are available online - 24 hours a day, seven days a week - with technical support available at all times.
Begin taking your exam only when you are fully prepared and will be able to complete it in one sitting. You must finish within the allotted running time and the clock starts as soon as you begin taking your exam. There is no way to pause and resume later.
- Please Be Advised: It is not permissible for someone other than the Class A, B or A/B operator who logs into the system to take the examination or provide the answers to the questions.
- You must answer each question before advancing to the next one; questions may not be skipped.
- As soon as you select an answer, the next question will immediately appear on your screen.
- Once you have answered a question, there is no way to go back and change your answer.
- If you run out of time before completing all questions, those you leave unanswered will be scored as incorrect.
REGISTRATION HELP & TECHNICAL SUPPORT
You can obtain assistance and support from the following links on the exam web site:
- Home brings you back to the Available Programs page, where you can select Operator Exam.
- My Account allows you to view and update your account information.
- Help & FAQ provides answers to common registration questions.
- Contact provides a form for emailing specific questions.
You may also call 888-951-3456 toll-free from 7:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. Eastern Time if you need help with registration or encounter technical difficulties during your exam. Please note that due to the large numbers of people taking exams, you may need to wait for up to one day for a return call.
For your convenience, print a hard copy of these instructions so you can refer to them during registration and while taking your exam.
Here are the minimum computer, software & Internet requirements for taking a Massachusetts online UST Operator Certification Exam:
- Pentium III based 500 MHz (or equivalent) minimum
- 256 MB of RAM
- 640 x 480 screen resolution (VGA 256 colors, minimum)
- Windows 98, Windows NT 4.0, Windows ME, Windows 2000, Windows XP, Window Vista, Windows 7
- Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.0 or higher, minimum. Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome Internet Browser Plug-in
- Macbook with 1.8 Ghz processor (minimum)
- 512 MB of RAM & 1GB free space on hard drive
- 1024 x 768 screen resolution
- MAC OS 10.4 or higher
- Mozilla Firefox 3.5 or higher
- Sound card & speakers/ headphones (recommended)
- Broadband recommended