Third-Party Inspectors conduct detailed inspections of USTs and piping systems, and:
- Document the results of their on-site inspections;
- Review facility record keeping to ensure that it meets UST Program requirements; and
- Submit reports on their findings to the Department of Environmental Protection (MassDEP).
Reports must be submitted to MassDEP on the FP-289: Third-Party Underground Storage Tank Inspection Report
form. Third-Party Inspectors are hired directly by tank owners and operators. Inspectors report UST facts to MassDEP. While they provide advice to their clients about compliance issues, they are not authorized to enforce laws and regulations.
To avoid potential conflicts of interest, Third-Party Inspectors must not be:
- Owners or operators of the USTs they are inspecting;
- Employees of the owners or operators of the USTs they are inspecting; or
- Responsible on a daily basis for USTs they are inspecting.
See the Supporting Documents section of the MassDEP Third-Party UST Inspector Program web page for additional information.