N O T I C E
The Department of Environmental Protection (MassDEP) has made two changes to the Class A, B, and A/B Operator Certification Exams:
- The scoring protocol has been changed so that a passing score now requires a score of at least 60 percent in each subject area AND a total score for the whole test of 80 percent (previously, a passing score required a score of 80 percent in each subject area), and
- A number of exam questions have been revised or replaced to ensure that they are clear.
Revised questions were incorporated into the web-based version of the exam over the summer of 2012. The new scoring protocol was incorporated into the web-based version of the exam during the fall of 2012. In the interim, MassDEP re-scored all of the failed exams.
For exams taken before the questions were revised or replaced, incorrect responses to those questions did not count toward an exam's final score and the new scoring protocol was used. MassDEP specifically:
- Reimbursed test-takers for the cost of any exam taken after their first exam which now receives a passing score;
- Informed, by email, all test-takers who failed an exam of the revised results of their re-scored exam and whether they were entitled to reimbursement; and
- Provided an Operator Certificate to those who passed the exam based on the re-scoring.
For More Information
If you have questions about re-scored exams or fee reimbursements, contact MassDEP at email@example.com or 617-556-1035, extension 2.