The Department of Environmental Protection (MassDEP) Underground Storage Tank (UST) Operator Certification Progam ensures that those responsible for operating and maintaining UST systems have the necessary baseline knowledge and understanding of how these systems work.
UST System Owner/Operator Responsibilities
If you own or operate one or more UST systems, you had until August 8, 2012, to:
- Designate at least one certified Class A, B and C Operator for each UST system.
- Document that each designated Class A, B or A/B Operator is correctly trained on the UST system(s) for which s/he is responsible.
- Document that each Class C Operator has received site-specific training from a Class A, B or A/B Operator.
UST Operator Qualifications
To become certified as a Class A, B or A/B UST Operator, you must:
- Take and pass a state-administered Class A, B, A/B or Reciprocity UST Operator Exam;
- Receive a MassDEP issued certificate indicating the level of operator certification received;
- Be designated by the facility owner as the responsible UST Operator; and
- Obtain training on the type(s) of UST system (s) for which you have been designated an Operator.
To become a Class C Operator, you do not need to take and pass a state-administered exam, but you must receive site-specific training from a Class A, B or A/B Operator on the UST system(s) for which you will be responsible, including how to respond to alarms and emergencies.