Effective January 2, 2015, new Massachusetts Department of Environmental Protection (MassDEP) Underground Storage Tank (UST) Regulations (310 CMR 80.00) address the registration, installation, operation, maintenance, closure and inspection of UST systems used to store petroleum fuels and hazardous substances. The new MassDEP rules replace DFS regulations at 527 CMR 9.00, which were rescinded on January 1, 2015. Although fundamentals of the program remain the same, the new regulations do contain some important new requirements for UST Owners and Operators. Learn more…
- Underground Storage Tank (UST) Operator Certification Program
All UST system owners/operators were required to designate at least one certified Class A, B and C Operator for each tank system by August 8, 2012
- Presentation: MassDEP UST Owner/Operator Workshops, Winter 2015
file size 2MB
Covers the January 2015 amendments to the agency's UST program regulations.
- List of Massachusetts UST System Operators - March 19, 2015
All individuals who have passed their Class A, B or A/B Operator exams. This list is updated frequently. There are additional requirements for being certified. See: 310 CMR 80.02(7)&(8)
- Third-Party Underground Storage Tank (UST) Inspection Program
All UST system owners/operators had until August 8, 2010, to have their systems inspected by MassDEP-approved Third-Party Inspectors (TPIs). Inspections need to be repeated every three years.
- Massachusetts UST Facilities' Next Third-Party Inspection Due Dates - Updated February 25, 2015
This list is updated frequently. NOTE: Facilities are listed in ID Number order, but may be sorted by name, location, etc. in MS Excel. TPI reports are due 14 days after inspections are completed.
- MassDEP Third-Party UST Inspector List - December 2014
This list is updated monthly.
- Underground Storage Tank (UST) Regulations & Policies
Environmental and fire prevention regulations that apply to the use and storage of gasoline and other motor fuels, the installation and operation of underground storage tanks, and the cleanup of oil and hazardous material releases.
- Underground Storage Tank (UST) Program Compliance Information
Learn about UST registration, third-party inspections, compliance deadlines and more.
- Underground Storage Tank Query Tool
Check to be sure that the information MassDEP has on file for your UST(s) is accurate and up to date.
- Report an Environmental Emergency
Instructions for notifying MassDEP of a UST leak or release of fuel, oil or hazardous materials.
- Department of Revenue UST Program Online Service Center
Learn about the Petroleum Product Cleanup (21J) Fund and the Cities and Towns Municipal Grants Program.
- Background Information: Massachusetts Underground Storage Tank (UST) Program Transition
Responsibility for administering the tank registration and compliance inspection provisions was transferred from the Department of Fire Services (DFS) to MassDEP in July 2009.
- FP-290: Notification for Underground Storage Tanks
Must be completed by the owner for each location containing USTs regulated under 527 CMR 9.00.
- FP-290R: Notification for Removal or Closure of In Place Underground Storage Tanks
Must be completed by the owner after removal or closure of one or more USTs.
- FP-289: Third-Party Underground Storage Tank Inspection Report
To be completed by a Third-Party Inspector.
- FP-290 Part 3: Permit to Maintain Existing/New Underground Storage Tank Facility
Must be submitted annually to the local fire department.