MassDEP Tools & Resources for Private Well Owners
- Reports & Fact Sheets
- Location Lookup for Arsenic and Uranium Probability Zones
- FAQs: Arsenic & Uranium
- FAQs: Arsenic in Private Well Water
- Fact Sheet for Radionuclides, including Uranium in Drinking Water
- Find a Testing Lab
- Private Wells
- 2016 Standards & Guidelines for Contaminants in Massachusetts Drinking Water
- Contact Information for the Arsenic & Uranium Bedrock Well Study
Other State Resources for Private Well Owners
- Department of Public Health - Arsenic and Uranium Q&A
Evaluation of Arsenic and Uranium in Urine as a Measure of Exposure to Contaminants in Selected Private Drinking Water Wells in Central and Northeastern Massachusetts from the Massachusetts Department of Public Health (MDPH)
- UMass Amherst Center for Agriculture Research & Extension - Well Water Fact Sheets
Well Water Fact Sheets on Contaminants, Standards, Testing and Treatment from the Natural Resources & Environmental Conservation Program of the UMass-Amherst Extension Service
- Dartmouth Toxic Metals Research Program YouTube Video on Arsenic in Drinking Water
A 10-minute video about the risks associated with exposure to potentially harmful amounts of arsenic in private well water.
Federal Resources for Private Well Owners
- USGS Report: Arsenic & Uranium in Water from Private Wells Completed in Bedrock of East-Central Massachusetts
USGS Scientific Investigations Report 2011-5013, Arsenic and Uranium in Water from Private Wells Completed in Bedrock of East-Central Massachusetts: Concentrations, Correlations with Bedrock Units, and Estimated Probability Maps
- US EPA: Private Drinking Water Well Information
Information from US EPA on private wells. Like MassDEP, EPA does not regulate private water supplies, but provides information for consumers on health and safety issues associated with private supplies, including testing, treatment, proper maintenance, and information for real estate buyers and sellers.
- US EPA: Arsenic Rule
Basic Information about the Arsenic Rule from US EPA
- US EPA: Radionuclides Rule
Basic Information about the federal Radionuclides rule.
- US EPA: Arsenic - Laboratory Study on Arsenic Oxidation
Report of laboratory study on arsenic oxidation, published in March 2001.
- US EPA: Commonly Encountered Radionuclides
Links to EPA fact sheets on a dozen radionuclides commonly used for medical or commercial purposes and found in Superfund sites.
- USDA Rural Development Program
Home Improvement and Repair Loans and Grants Program (Section 504) from the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) Rural Development. Loan program for low-income homeowners that can be used for on-site water treatment systems and hook-up costs to municipal systems. Consult the USDA site for eligibility requirements.
- CDC: Case Studies on Environmental Medicine
Case Studies on Environmental Medicine, including Information about Health Effects of Arsenic, Uranium and Other Contaminants from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control