- Business Plan for Water Supplies
Water systems developing new public water supplies and infrastructure should complete and return this package to the appropriate MassDEP Regional Office. October 2005.
- Enterprise Funds Manual - Massachusetts Department of Revenue
Guidance to local officials on using an enterprise fund to account for services provided to customers for a charge. April 2008.
- MassDEP Drinking Water System Management Handbook
A tool for public water system owners, officers, and employees to administer their drinking water system through financial, technical, and managerial planning. March 2007.
- The Multiple Barrier Approach to Public Health Protection: A Best Practices Guide
A multiple barrier approach places four types of barriers between possible threats of contamination and consumers. These barriers are risk prevention, risk management, monitoring & compliance, and individual actions on the part of the consumer. December 2007.
- Self-Assessment Questionnaire to Assist Small Public Water Systems with Capacity Development
A tool to assist owners/operators of small systems in evaluating their capacity needs.
- New England Water Works / EPA: Training Guide for Drinking Water Board Members file size 1MB
Board Members / Water Commissioners play a vital role in ensuring the continued safety of our drinking water supplies. This guide was designed to support the work of governing boards, as they work to understand the complexities managing a drinking water system and remain in compliance with strict public health regulations.
- New England Water Works Association: Water Rate Surveys
Water and sewer rate data in Massachusetts, compiled by Tighe & Bond and posted on the New England Water Works Association website.
- Rural Community Assistance Partnership
Provides technical, training, educational and financial assistance for rural communities. Materials available include a guide on setting rates and a guide for financial management of small water utilities.
- US EPA: Sustainable Infrastructure for Water & Wastewater
Information from US EPA on better management practices for your water utility.
- US EPA: Water Security
Information from US EPA on improving the security of drinking water and wastewater infrastructure.