- Features of an Active and Effective Protective Program
The US EPA has developed "Features of an Active and Effective Protective Program" to assist water utility operators in disaster prevention and recovery. This page is a brief summary of the program with a link to EPA's Website. June 2009.
- CDC: Centers for Disease Control Guidance for Water-Related Emergencies and Outbreaks
Before an emergency or a temporary problem with a community water system, a community drinking water treatment facility should have an emergency plan in the event that service is disrupted.
- USDHS: Cyber Intrusion Detection and Mitigation
Guidance to provide basic recommendations for owners and operators of critical infrastructure to mitigate the impacts of cyber attacks and enhance their network security.
- Emergency Planning and Preparedness Tips for WWTP and WTP Operators
This checklist provides operators and key staff members with information and advice on critical items that should be considered and checked to help you gauge your treatment plant's emergency preparedness status.
- Guidelines for Public Water Systems Appendix O, Handbook for Water Supply Emergencies
Appendix O (March 2007)
- EPA's FedFUNDS Tool for Disaster Reimbursement
A new web-based tool to locate funding for disaster relief.
- Hurricane Preparedness Tips for Water Systems
Tips pulled from US EPA's website.
- US EPA Hurricane Incident Action Checklist
Examples of activities that water and wastewater utilities can take to prepare for, respond to, and recover from hurricanes.
- Cyber Risk Alert
Alert about increasing risks to Internet-accessible industrial-control systems. There is no imminent threat, but system security is always a priority. January 2012.
- Preparing for Extreme Weather Events and Response Guidance
Recommended actions for water suppliers to prepare for extreme weather.
- Public Water System Response to Loss of Pressure to All or Part of the Distribution System
Flowchart and description of procedures for responding to a pressure loss in water mains. February 2008.
- Recommendations for Private Wells Inundated by Flooding
Disinfection procedures and other guidance if a private well has been contaminated by floodwater. February 13, 2008.
- Self-Assessment of Your Utility's Emergency Preparedness Program
Self-assessment measures taken from the Features of an Active and Effective Protective Program, to assist owners and operators of drinking water and wastewater utilities in preventing, detecting, responding to, and recovering from disasters. June 2009.
- Emergency Power Facility Assessment Tool (EPFAT)
EPFAT is a secure web-based tool to input, store, update and/or view temporary emergency power assessment data. The database also provides utilities and the local/state/federal Emergency Management staff a permanent off-site, secure repository for this information. June 2014.
- US DOE: 21 Steps to Improve Cyber Security of SCADA Networks
US Department of Energy publication helping SCADA users to begin to protect their own systems by increasing electronic security and establishing an effective program.
- US EPA Guidance: Planning for an Emergency Drinking Water Supply
Guidance on alternative means of providing drinking water in the event of an infrastructure failure. June 2011.
- World Health Organization: Technical Notes on Drinking Water, Sanitation and Hygiene in Emergencies
Illustrated notes to assist those working immediately or shortly after an emergency to plan appropriate responses to the urgent and medium-term water and sanitation needs of affected populations.