- Notice to School Superintendents - Lead in School Drinking Water
Letter to school administrators on steps to take to address concerns about lead in the school's drinking-water supply.
- Lead & Copper Maintenance Checklist
Use this checklist to help determine if lead and/or copper is likely to be a problem in your facility's drinking water and assist in determining appropriate remediation actions to take, if needed. October 2015.
- Fact Sheet: Follow-up Steps for Schools or Child Care Facilities Based on Lead and Copper Sampling Results
Steps to take when sample results are above the MassDEP action level of 0.015 mgl/L. September 2010.
- Lead in School Drinking Water Program Strategy
Outline of MassDEP's Lead in School Drinking Water Program strategy. July 2005.
- Lead in School Drinking Water Program Presentation Slides
Presentation on lead in drinking water supplying schools.
- Lead in School Drinking Water Program Presentation Slides Notes file size 1MB
Notes accompanying the Lead in School Drinking Water presentation.
- Sample Lead in Drinking Water Letter to Students, Parents, & Staff
Sample letter from a school or child care facility with laboratory results that exceeded the Massachusetts Lead "action level" for "lead in drinking water at schools and child care facilities" - to students, families, and staff.
- How to Collect a Drinking Water Sample for Lead & Copper Testing
Protocol for collecting samples from faucets or water fountains. September 2008.
- Ice Making Machines Sample Collection Procedures
How to collect testing samples from ice-makers. September 2008.
- Cafeteria Kitchen Kettle Sample Collection Procedures
Collecting testing samples from kitchen kettles. September 2008.
- Fact Sheet: Copper and Your Health
Discusses the health effects of copper and ways to reduce exposure to copper in drinking water.
- Manual Flushing Log - Lead and Copper Remediation
Use this log to record manual flushings of drinking water system. April 2004.
- Proper Care of Bottled Water and Dispensers for Schools
A routine sanitizing and maintenance program for water coolers. April 2004.
- Recommended Remediation Actions to Reduce or Eliminate Lead Exposure from Drinking Water in Schools
Recommended steps to take if a school's water sample exceeds the action level for lead in drinking water. January 2004.
Learn more about lead, its environmental and health effects, and how to protect people and animals from its risks.
- US EPA: Guidance & Tools
EPA's tools to assist these facilities in complying with the regulations concerning lead in drinking water.
- US EPA Guidance: Lead in Drinking Water In Schools and Day Care Centers
EPA's resources on identifying and controlling lead in drinking water in these facilities.
- Is There Lead In My Tap Water?
Health risks of lead in tap water and what consumers can do about it.
- Centers for Disease Control (CDC) Lead Information
Information about lead from the CDC. Topics include Childhood Lead Poisoning, Lead in the Workplace, and Lead in the Environment.
- CDC Fact Sheet: Lead in Tap Water
Questions and answers from the CDC on sources of lead in tap water and what consumers should do to address problems with excess lead levels in water.