- 2015 Standards & Guidelines for Contaminants in Massachusetts Drinking Water
A compendium of guidance values for evaluating contaminants in Massachusetts drinking water. Guidance values determine the level at which corrective action becomes necessary. Updated May 2015.
- Guidelines for Public Water Systems
These documents are intended to provide guidance to public water suppliers and their employees, MassDEP staff, and the public, on all regulatory and procedural aspects of maintaining a safe drinking water supply.
- Bottled Water Memorandum of Understanding between MassDEP and the Department of Public Health
Review, approval and monitoring of source water for bottled water and carbonated nonalcoholic beverages.
- DWP's Use of Office of Research and Standards Drinking Water Guidelines and US EPA Health Advisory Levels
Discusses the role of Office of Research and Standards Drinking Water Guidelines and US EPA Health Advisory Levels when a contaminant is detected in drinking water. December 30, 2009.
- Wind and Solar Energy Projects on Public Water Supply Lands
This guideline applies to public water suppliers and their representatives requesting written approval from MassDEP to install wind and solar energy projects on lands held by public water systems for drinking water purposes.
- Justification for Decreasing the ORS Guideline for MTBE in Drinking Water from 0.7 mg/l to 0.07 mg/l
ORS has reviewed the most current data on the toxicology of methyl tertiary butyl ether (MTBE) and has concluded that a decrease by a factor of ten is appropriate and protective of public health for MTBE in drinking water.
- Municipal Compliance Fact Sheet: Drinking Water
As a senior municipal official representing the interests of your community, you should be aware that the federal Safe Drinking Water Act and the Massachusetts Drinking Water Regulations apply to all public water systems
- Water Management Program: Early Notice Guidance
When siting or expanding a public water supply, the proponent shall publish a notice of the Request For Site Exam application in the Environmental Monitor prior to the application filing with MassDEP.
- Fireworks Best Environmental Management Practices
The purpose of this memorandum is to provide guidance on perchlorate-containing fireworks to prevent contamination of drinking water supplies from this potential source.
- Pipe Bursting of Potable Water Mains
Pipe replacement using pre-chlorinated high-density polyethylene pipe.
- Protocol for chlorine-dioxide shock treatment at healthcare facilities on a public water system
Procedure for healthcare facilities seeking to use chlorine dioxide shock treatment to control pathogens.
- Legislation allows sub-metering
In December 2004, House Bill 5001, An Act Authorizing Water Sub-Metering in Residential Tenancies, was signed into law and became effective March 16, 2005. The new law allows landlords to install sub-meters for residential tenants and to bill tenants for water and sewer use.
- Testing Requirements for Public Water Systems - Summary
Summary of drinking-water testing requirements and parameters, applicable to all public water systems in Massachusetts. Rev. May 2015.
- Toxic Chemical Regulation in Massachusetts Waters
An informational guide to how chemicals are regulated and health and ecological hazards are assessed in fresh surface and groundwaters and marine waters.
- Uranium Activity to Mass Conversion Factor Guideline for Use in Drinking Water Compliance Monitoring and Risk Assessment
Parameters for screening for uranium in drinking water.
- Water Commissioners and Local Boards: Roles and Responsibilities for Drinking Water Compliance and Coordination
The purpose of this guide is to outline the specific state legal authorities granted to water commissioners, cities and towns, police, and boards of health who all play roles in ensuring the safety of our drinking water.
- Water District Organizational Checklist
A list of organizational documents a water district should have on file.
- Water Resource Management Planning Guidance Document
This guidance is intended to explain the types of water management planning reports towns and communities can use when approaching their particular wastewater, drinking water and stormwater issues.