Groundwater Discharge Permitting FAQs
- Groundwater: Frequently Asked Questions
What is groundwater? Why is it important to protect it? How does it get contaminated and how long does it take to clean contaminated groundwater? And more.
- Groundwater Discharge Permits: Frequently Asked Questions
When to file for a permit, which permit to file, and more.
Groundwater Discharge Permitting Process
- Ground Water Discharge & Reclaimed Water Permitting Process
Description of the permitting process for facilities that discharge 10,000 gallons per day or more of sanitary wastewater, discharge any amount of industrial wastewater, or use reclaimed water in conjunction with a discharge.
Groundwater Discharge Forms
- Certification Statement for Groundwater Discharge, Surface Water Discharge & Reclaimed Water Use Permits
This certification attests that engineering reports or plans & specifications prepared for groundwater-discharge or reclaimed-water permits for a permitted facility meet regulatory guidelines. Revised March 2017.
- BRP WP 83 - Hydrogeologic Evaluation Report
This report approval is a prerequisite for the issuance of a permit to discharge treated sanitary wastewater in excess of 10,000 gallons per day (gpd) or to discharge treated wastewaters otherwise subject to a groundwater discharge permit. Revised July 2013.
- BRP WP 79, 85 - Individual Discharge Permits
These permits are required for the discharge of treated sanitary wastewater in excess of 10,000 gallons per day (gpd) to the ground, or discharges from laundromats or carwashes or other discharges requiring an individual discharge permit not specified by another groundwater discharge permit category. Revised July 2013.
- BRP WP 11, 12 - Groundwater Discharge Permit Renewals
This permit is required for a renewal or modification for an existing non-industrial groundwater discharge regulated by MassDEP under an individual groundwater discharge permit in accordance with the provisions at 314 CMR 5.00; or, for the renewal or modification of an existing reclaimed water system regulated by MassDEP under an individual reclaimed water permit in accordance with 314 CMR 20.00. Revised July 2015.
- BRP WP 82 - Administrative Renewal of Groundwater Discharge Permit
In accordance with 314 CMR 5.12(9) the MassDEP may administratively renew a permit to a non-industrial groundwater discharge regulated by MassDEP in accordance with the provisions at 314 CMR 5.00. Revised July 2015.
- BRP WP 80, 81 - General Groundwater Discharge Permit Coverage
This Notice of Intent to seek either new, renewed, or modification of coverage under a General Discharge Permit is required for small wastewater treatment facilities designed to receive less than 50,000 gallons per day of sewage, carwash wastewater, or coin-operated laundromat wastewater pursuant to 314 CMR 5.03 and 314 CMR 5.13(1). Revised July 2015.
- General Permits Associated with BRP 80 & BRP 81
General Permits Associated with BRP 80 & BRP 81, General Groundwater Discharge Permit Coverage for small wastewater treatment facilities.
- BRP WP 86, 87, 88, 89, 90 - Industrial Wastewater Treatment Facility Permits & Plan Approvals
These permits and approvals serve to protect the public health, welfare, and the environment through the control of industrial wastewater discharges to the ground. Revised August 2011.
- Groundwater Discharge Report Forms
Groundwater Discharge Monitoring Reports are required to verify that discharges do not exceed regulatory limits.
- Escrow Agreement for Immediate Repair and/or Replacement Account for Groundwater Discharge Permits and Renewals
Groundwater Discharge Permits may require the permittee to establish an escrow account to provide funds for immediate repair and replacement of the permitted wastewater treatment facility. Revised February 2017.
Groundwater Discharge Permitting Regulations
- 314 CMR 5.00: Groundwater Discharge Permits
Regulating pollutant discharges to groundwater in Massachusetts to ensure protection of the sources and compliance with the Surface Water Quality Standards (see 314 CMR 4.00).
Groundwater Discharge Permitting Policies & Guidance
- Environmental Compliance for Laboratories
Covers industrial wastewater, hazardous waste management and other requirements.
- Design, Construction, Operation, and Maintenance of Small Wastewater Treatment Facilities with Land Disposal - Guidelines file size 2MB
file size 3MB
A technical guide for individuals involved in the design, construction, and use of small wastewater treatment facilities in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts.
- Nutrient Loading Approach to Wastewater Permitting and Disposal
Guidance for the Department and applicants in applying nutrient-loading parameters to wastewater permitting.
- Massachusetts Dairy Farm Milkhouse Wastewater Pilot Program
Pilot program that allows dairy farms to discharge wastewater from processing dairy products (such as milk, cheese, ice cream and yogurt) to vegetated areas where plants will treat the wastewater before it reaches ground water.