Who can conduct a system inspection?

The following professionals are qualified to be System Inspectors under Title 5, but must apply to MassDEP for approval to perform inspections. For further information regarding system inspection and soil evaluator applications, training and certification, see the NEIWPCC website

  • Massachusetts Registered Professional Engineers with a concentration in civil, sanitary or environmental engineering,
  • Massachusetts Registered Sanitarians,
  • Certified Health Officers.

The following individuals, provided that they have attended appropriate training and passed a MassDEP-approved exam, can also be approved as System Inspectors:

  • Board of Health members and Health Agents
  • Professional home inspectors
  • Licensed septage haulers
  • System installers
  • Engineers in Training (EIT-certified with a concentration in civil, sanitary or environmental engineering)
  • Persons with at least one year of experience in system inspection.

System inspections conducted by any other individual are not valid for compliance with Title 5 (310 CMR 15.340(1)).

How can I be sure someone is a MassDEP-approved System Inspector?

NEIWPCC maintains lists of MassDEP-approved inspectors , located both in-state and out-of-state. In addition, individuals who take the course and pass the exam will receive a certificate from MassDEP identifying them as approved System Inspectors. These individuals should also be able to furnish you with evidence of their professional registration or certification.

How are the approved Soil Evaluator and System Inspector lists updated?

The list is updated following the examinations and is posted on the NEIWPCC website . The list is also updated periodically to add names of new System Inspectors or Soil Evaluators and/or to reflect changes of address of existing ones.

Inspectors or Evaluators wanting to correct their information on the lists should contact Paul Spina at NEIWPCC, 978-323-7929.

Can MassDEP revoke approval of a System Inspector?

Yes. MassDEP may revoke or suspend the approval of a System Inspector if it determines that an Inspector has falsified or fraudulently altered an inspection form or misrepresented the results of an inspection. The inspector has an opportunity for a hearing prior to MassDEP taking this action.

How do I become an approved System Inspector or Soil Evaluator?

Individuals become approved Soil Evaluators or System Inspectors by taking a designated class and passing a written examination. For information about upcoming classes you can:

  • Send an e-mail to New England Interstate Water Pollution Control Commission (training@NEIWPCC.org) and write "MA Title 5 training" in the subject line.
  • View their website directly where they advertise the trainings.
  • Contact them at:
    Wannalancit Mills
    650 Suffolk Street, Suite 410
    Lowell, MA 01854

People already on the waiting list will receive notification directly by NEIWPCC once trainings are scheduled.

Are Professional Engineers automatically approved as System Inspectors?

Mass Professional Engineers (PE's) with a concentration in civil, sanitary or environmental engineering automatically qualify as System Inspectors under Title 5. However, they must provide documentation of their status to NEIWPCC, e.g., a photocopy of their license. Send proof to:

Wannalancit Mills
650 Suffolk Street, Suite 410
Lowell, MA 01854

What should I do when the Board of Health and the Soil Evaluator disagree on the Estimated Seasonal High Ground Water level for new construction or upgrades?

A second Soil Evaluator to provide another opinion may be the best way to resolve this conflict. Ultimately, the local Board of Health must approve the system design and installation.

May a Soil Evaluator, as a member of the Board of Health, complete the soil profile and also conduct the percolation tests for the system owner?

No, the Soil Evaluator may not act as an agent for both the Board of Health and the property owner for work done on the same site. However, the Board of Health Soil Evaluator may perform both the percolation tests and the soil evaluation for a site as long as s/he is not directly paid by the property owner. In this situation, the Board of Health may charge the property owner a fee for performing these services.

Does the Commonwealth require Title 5 Inspectors to carry liability insurance?