- 2015 Environmental Monitoring Overview
This is a brief overview of the 2015 Surface Water monitoring results. December 2015
- The Watershed Management Approach
The main strategy employed by MassDEP to protect and maintain water quality is the implementation of the Watershed Management Approach. A phased holistic program for watershed-based assessment, Total Maximum Daily Load (TMDL) evaluation, permitting, and implementation has been adopted by MassDEP's Bureau of Resource Protection (BRP) to address its Watershed Management goals.
- Adjustments to Surface Water Monitoring Program
Adjustments to MassDEP's schedule for watershed monitoring.
- Water Quality Monitoring Strategy for Massachusetts
A long-range plan for collecting and using monitoring data from Massachusetts water bodies.
- Environmental Monitoring
Information about MassDEP river, lake and coastal monitoring to identify and control sources of water pollution.
- Massachusetts Probabilistic Monitoring and Assessment Program Sampling Schedule
MassDEP is sampling random stream and river segments for water quality. See what we're looking for and when we'll be there.
- Environmental Monitoring: Biomonitoring
Habitat assessments and biological sampling help determine the health of a waterbody to support aquatic life, which is a key indicator of overall environmental health.
- Environmental Monitoring: Quality Management Program
A five-year programmatic Quality Assurance Program Plan (QAPP) documents all aspects of the MassDEP surface water monitoring program, from goal-setting to results.
- Environmental Monitoring: Data Management
The systems that work together to validate and verify the monitoring data used to meet MassDEP's obligations under state and federal clean water legislation.
- Environmental Monitoring for Volunteers
Surface water monitoring by individual volunteers, school groups, stream teams, watershed associations, and others is a valuable component of DEP's approach to watershed management.
- External Data Submittals to the Watershed Planning Program
MassDEP welcomes submittal of quality-assured surface water data at any time. This information may be used by DWM-WPP to assess Massachusetts surface water quality.
- SMART Monitoring Technical Manuals
“SMART” is the acronym for Strategic Monitoring and Assessment for River basin Teams. This program was specifically designed for the Massachusetts Watershed Initiative and for the empowerment of the watershed teams that are the heart of the effort.
- Bacteria Source Tracking Pilot Study file size 1MB
file size 4MB
A study undertaken to develop a protocol for locating sources of bacterial contamination in rivers and streams to supplement the surface-water-quality monitoring required under the Clean Water Act.
- Enhancing the Bacterial Source-Tracking Toolkit file size 4MB
Poster presentation on a collaborative investigation into tracking sources of bacterial contamination in surface waters.
- Annual Monitoring Summaries
Overviews and summaries of surface-water monitoring performed during the calendar year.
- Massachusetts Watershed Initiative Program - Indicative Project Summaries 1999-2003
Summaries of monitoring and assessment projects conducted in Massachusetts watersheds between 1999 and 2003.
- Watershed Planning Program Publications 1963 - 2009
An index of technical reports and memoranda published by the Watershed Planning Program of the Massachusetts Division of Watershed Management during fiscal years 1963-2009.