The MEPA regulations, 301 CMR 11.03, require Environmental Impact Reports (EIR) for all Interbasin Transfer applications of 1 mgd or greater, or transfers otherwise considered significant by the Massachusetts Water Resources Commission (WRC).
The proponent should use these scopes in the development of the EIR required under 301 CMR 11.03. The scopes contained herein are only for that portion of the EIR that pertains to the INTERBASIN TRANSFER ACT. There may be other issues which need to be addressed in the EIR for a particular project. The MEPA program should be contacted at 617-626-1020 to determine a comprehensive scope for the particular project.
The Interbasin Transfer scopes are designed to follow each criterion of the Act, as it appears in the regulations. The requirements of the regulations and the Interbasin Transfer Performance Standards (used to evaluate compliance) are listed under the criterion as information to be provided in the EIR. It is hoped that this format will give the applicant a better idea of how the WRC is required to make its decision under the Act.
These scopes only apply to transfers considered potentially "significant" under the Act. Requests for Determination of Applicability and Requests for Determination of Insignificance will still use the standard application forms for these types of reviews, available from this website.
- If you are developing a new water supply source or system to be transferred, used and discharged into a different basin and different community, use: EIR Scope for Communities Seeking Approval For Water Supply Development Request for Determination of Applicability
- If you are developing a new sewerage system to transfer wastewater to a different basin and different community for treatment and discharge OR if you are enlarging the capacity of a connection with a wastewater system which transfers wastewater to a different basin and different community for treatment and discharge, use: EIR Scope for Communities Seeking Approval For A Wastewater Transfer Request for Determination of Applicability
- If you are developing a water supply, to be used in the "donor" basin, but transported out of that basin for treatment and disposal as wastewater, use: EIR Scope for Communities Seeking Approval For A Wastewater Transfer Triggered By Development Of A Water Supply Request for Determination of Applicability
- If you are applying for admission to the MWRA Water Supply system, use: EIR Scope for Communities Seeking Approval Under the Interbasin Transfer Act To Join The MWRA Water Supply System Request for Determination of Applicability
Interbasin Transfer Information and Resources
Project proponents seeking a decision opinion from the WRC concerning a potential interbasin transfer should refer to the following documents when preparing a submittal to the WRC.
- Interbasin Transfer Act Guidebook file size 1MB
- Request for Determination of Applicability , PDF
- Request for Determination of Insignificance , PDF
- Performance Standards Guidance
- Water Conservation Questionnaire for Public Water Suppliers
- Massachusetts Water Conservation Standards file size 1MB
- WRC Policy on Compliance with the Performance Standards
- Offsets Policy Regarding Proposed Interbasin Transfers
This information provided by the Water Resource Commission.