Established under the Massachusetts Electric Utility Restructuring Act of 1997, the Renewable Energy Portfolio Standard (RPS) was amended per the Green Communities Act of 2008 . The Green Communities Act spurred the development of three programs, introduced in January 2009:
- RPS Class I (evolved from the original RPS program)
- RPS Class II
- Alternative Energy Portfolio Standard (APS)
The revised and new standards are in the Massachusetts General Laws in Chapter 25A Section 11F (RPS Class I and Class II) and Section 11F 1/2 (APS).
Current Regulations for RPS and APS Programs
- SMART Program Regulation 225 CMR 20.00- published August 25, 2017
- RPS Class I Regulation, 225 CMR 14.00 published July 8, 2016
- RPS Class II Regulation, 225 CMR 15.00 published June 20, 2014
- APS Regulation, 225 CMR 16.00 published June 12, 2009
Please note: All documents listed on this web page are unofficial and provided for informational purposes only. The only official version of each regulation is published in the Massachusetts Register, which is available through the State Bookstore.
Learn about current developments in Regulatory Proceedings for RPS and APS.
Per 225 CMR 14.02, 15.02, and 16.02, Guidelines are a set of clarifications, interpretations, and procedures, including forms, developed by DOER to assist in compliance with the requirements of the respective regulation. DOER may issue new or revised Guidelines from time to time. Each Guideline shall be effective on its date of issuance or on such date as is specified therein, except as otherwise provided.
The following documents are Guidelines that are currently in effect and serve to clarify requirements or eligibility criteria set forth in the program regulations.
Guidelines for Retail Electricity Suppliers
Alternative Portfolio Standard (APS)
Guideline on the Eligibility and Metering of Combined Heat and Power Projects
- Biomass Eligibility and Certificate Guideline
- Overall Efficiency and Greenhouse Gas Analysis Guideline
RPS Solar Carve-Out
- Annual Minimum Standard Calculations
- Construction Timeline Affidavit
- Construction Timeline Extensions
- Detailed Construction Costs
RPS Solar Carve-Out II
- Construction Guideline Affidavit
- Small Generation Units FAQ
- Assurance of Qualification
- Calculation of Compliance Obligation
- Definition of Brownfield file size 1MB
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
- Guideline Regarding the Definition of Low or Moderate Income Housing
- Annual Managed Growth Calculations
- SREC Factors
- Extension Guideline
- Detailed Construction Costs Form
- Solar Land Use Guidance and Information
This information is provided by the Department of Energy Resources.