|The Department of Energy Resources has directed nearly $18 million in federal stimulus funds to invest in solar photovoltaic (PB) installations across Massachusetts. These investments are contributing to the robust growth of solar energy adoption in the Commonwealth and are helping to ensure a cleaner energy future for Massachusetts.|
At a Glance
The MassCEC is a quasi-public agency that acts as a clearinghouse and provides support center for the clean energy sector in Massachusetts. The DOER directed over $8 million to the MassCEC to fund the . These funds provide rebates for the installation of grid-tied solar PV systems at commercial, industrial, institutional, and public facilities.
$1.6 million was allocated by the DOER to support PPAs at state authority locations; including the Massachusetts Water Resource Authority, Logan Airport, Worcester State University, Bridgewater State University, and the Department of Housing and Community Development. Federal stimulus funds were utilized to buy down the cost of renewable electricity that is being purchased by authority locations.
Over $6 million was directed to the DCAM to partially fund solar energy investments at state-owned facilities. These federal stimulus funds are helping to finance 23 solar installations and will increase the solar capacity in Massachusetts by nearly 4MW.
- The American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009 has funded more than 18MW of solar power in Massachusetts.
- The electricity generated by these installations is enough clean energy to power nearly 3,500 homes.
- Reductions in fossil fuel use and energy costs will have a lasting impact for New England residents and many higher education campuses are incorporating hands-on clean energy issues into their curricula.
Case Studies, News, and Blog Posts
Chickatawbut Hill - Solar Array
This solar array is the largest in a Massachusetts State Park and will produce over 62,000 kWh a year in clean energy; enough electricity to power both the nearby Blue Hills Trailside Museum and the Norman Smith Environmental Education Center.
- EnergySmarts blog: "Solar unveiled on Chickatawbut Hill"
Cape Cod Organic Farm - Solar Array
- EnergySmarts blog : "Cape Cod Organic Farm now harvesting solar power"
DCAM - Solar
A comprehensive list of active and completed energy projects is available on the DCAM web page.
Department of Correction (DOC) - Solar Arrays
- Massachusetts Recovery and Reinvestment Office: "Stimulus-funded solar arrays at five DOC sites come online"
Massasoit Community College - Solar Arrays
- Massachusetts Recovery and Reinvestment Office: "Massasoit Community College celebrates completion of stimulus-funded rooftop solar panel installation project"
UMass Dartmouth - Solar Arrays
- Massachusetts Recovery and Reinvestment Office: "Saving energy and lowering bills, with help from the sun and stimulus"
This information is provided by the Department of Energy Resources.
People also viewed...
You recently viewed...
Learn more on our .