Initial petitions, applications or filings must conform to the relevant Massachusetts general laws and regulations and be accompanied by any applicable filing fee as set forth in 801 C.M.R. § 4.02.  In addition, they must conform to the filing instructions set forth below.

All documents filed in Department proceedings must comply with the filing requirements set forth in 220 C.M.R. § 1.00  pdf format of 220 C.M.R. § 1.00
, including the requirement that said documents be submitted on paper to Mark D. Marini, Secretary, Department of Public Utilities, One South Station, Boston, Massachusetts 02110. Persons filing paper documents with the Department also must comply with any additional paper filing requirements as specified by the Order of Notice or by the Hearing Officer in each proceeding. (typically set forth in a document entitled Ground Rules)

All documents should also be submitted to the Department in electronic format using one of the following methods: (1) by e-mail attachment to and the hearing officer [first name.last]; or (2) on a CD-ROM. The text of the e-mail, or CD-ROM label must specify: (1) the docket number of the proceeding (D.P.U. ##-##); (2) the name of the person or company submitting the filing; and (3) a brief descriptive title of the document. The electronic filing should also include the name, title, and telephone number of a person to contact in the event of questions about the filing. The Department strongly encourages filers to avoid submitting scanned files but will accept them for posting when an alternative version does not exist in electronic format. In addition, if the petitioner, applicant, or any other participant has already filed a document relevant to this proceeding, such as the initial petition, application, or filing, without providing an electronic copy of that document, such entity is directed to do so in compliance with the above electronic filing requirements as soon as practicable. All documents submitted in electronic format will be posted on the Department's website: .


This information is provided by the Department of Public Utilities