The Massachusetts Office of Technical Assistance (OTA) created the Massachusetts Clean Auto Repair (MassCAR) Program to provide environmental training and resources for auto body and repair shops. You can download all training materials from this webpage. The program is designed to help you:
- Understand and achieve compliance with environmental, health and safety (EHS) requirements.
- Learn about and implement pollution prevention and other best management practices.
MassCAR consists of an environmental and compliance guidance document that can be downloaded in whole or as individual factsheets here. The MassCAR guidance includes:
- The MassCAR checklist file size 1MB is a downloadable summary of actions you can take to ensure that you stay organized and in compliance with state and federal regulations.
- The MassCAR Environmental Achievement Statement is a downloadable self-certification document that you can use to advertise and celebrate your environmental practices.
- Downloadable MassCAR fact sheets (see below) which include detailed information about key auto body and repair topics. The MassCAR guide can be downloaded as a whole document or by individual fact sheets, according to your needs. See below for downloadable material.
MassCAR Power Point Trainings
The documents below are in PDF format and are available as power point upon request, if you would like to incorporate them into your own training or curriculum.
- Auto Body / Collision power point training file size 2MB
- MassCAR Auto Repair power point training file size 2MB
The Complete MassCAR Guide file size 2MB
General Auto Body and Repair Factsheets from the MassCAR Guide
- Permits and Inspection Readiness
- Common Hazardous Wastes
- Hazardous Waste Management
- Spill Prevention
- Vehicle Fluid Evacuation Caddies
- Waste Oil Management
- Wastewater Regulations and Best Practices
- Understanding OSHA Requirements for Auto Shops
Auto Repair Factsheets from the MassCAR Guide
- Water-Based Brake Cleaning
- Water-Based Parts Cleaning
- Adhesive & Lead-Free Wheel Weights
- Oil Filter Crushers
- Antifreeze Recycling
- Refrigerant Recycling Systems
- High Voltage Safety with Hybrids and Electric Vehicles
Auto Body Factsheets from the MassCAR Guide
- Vacuum Sanding
- Water-Based Paint
- Water-Based Gun Washing
- Paint Mixing Room Guidelines and Best Practices
- Safe Welding Practices
- Solvent Recycling Systems
- Federal And State Auto Body Air Regulations
- Less Toxic Alternatives
Shops that provide feedback or participate in trainings will receive a MassCAR certificate to acknowledge their efforts and contributions to this program and the environment. To find out more about MassCAR and trainings, please contact Tiffany Skogstrom at Tiffany.Skogstrom@state.ma.us or 617-626-1086.