- See Chapter 21A, Sections 8A - 8F of the M.G.L. (WRC)
- See Chapter 21, Sections 8B - 8D, M.G.L. (Interbasin Transfer Act)
In addition to statewide water policy planning and oversight, the Commission advises the Department of Environmental Protection ( MassDEP ) in the administration and enforcement of water pollution control and water management policies and regulations.
Primary Activities of WRC
- Development of new water resource policies for the state, including technical documents supporting such policies;
- Prioritization of projects for funding under U.S. Army Corps of Engineers programs; and,
- Implementation of the Interbasin Transfer Act (ITA), including the review and approval of transfers of water or wastewater between any of the Commonwealth's 28 river basins (including the Massachusetts Coastal Basin) under the Interbasin Transfer Act.
Role of the Office of Water Resources
The Office of Water Resources (OWR) in the Department of Conservation and Recreation provides technical and staff support, including scientists, hydrogeolists, and water policy specialists, who undertake activities of the Commission. The OWR assists the WRC in conducting scientific research and developing water policy. The OWR maintains the administrative record for the Commission's Interbasin Transfer reviews and coordinates EEA agency review of Interbasin Transfer applications.
Interbasin Transfer Act
The WRC has responsibility for the review and approval of transfers of water or wastewater between any of the Commonwealth's 28 river basins (including the Massachusetts Coastal Basin) under the ITA. The OWR also provides technical review of applications and advises the Commission on regulatory and technical issues concerning the ITA.
Disclaimer: Please be advised that this online edition is NOT the official version of the regulations. The official versions of all state statutes and regulations are available through the State Bookstore.
Fiscal year 2013 annual report
Water Resources Commission
c/o DCR Office of Water Resources
251 Causeway Street, Suite 700
Boston, MA 02114
This information provided by the Water Resource Commission.