The Zebra Mussel Task Force (ZMTF) was created by the Executive Office of Energy and Environmental Affairs (EEA) following the discovery of zebra mussels in Laurel Lake in western Massachusetts. The purpose of the ZMTF is to develop a set of recommendations for reducing zebra mussel infestations in water bodies at high risk for infestation, including facilitating and managing boating access to lakes and ponds.
The ZMTF is comprised of ten members, including representatives of DCR Lakes and Ponds Program, DFG Office of Fishing and Boating Access, EEA, MA Environmental Police, sportsmen's, boating, and lakes associations, and a freshwater wetlands scientist. The Massachusetts Office of Dispute Resolution and Public Collaboration (MODR) at the University of Massachusetts, Boston, was engaged to interview stakeholders in preparation of meetings and to help facilitate the discussions and the public forum.
The ZMTF has developed a set of recommendations which will be circulated to the broader public by March 31, 2010. A public information session will be held on Wednesday, April 7, 2010 from 6:00 - 8:00 p.m. at the Crosby Elementary School in Pittsfield, MA at which the recommendations will be presented by the ZMTF. The presentation will be followed by a Q&A period.
Meeting 1: December 2, 2009
- Summary of 12/2/09 meeting
- Ground Rules approved at 12/2/09 meeting meeting
- Presentation by Dr. Mark Tisa [document]
- Closure Notice - Laurel Lake press releases: Zebra Mussel Task Force Final Recommendations , Meeting agenda
- Phase 1 Assessment file size 4MB Zebra Mussel Task Force Final Recommendations
- Zebra Mussel Rapid Response Plan Zebra Mussel Task Force Final Recommendations
- Interim Action Plan Zebra Mussel Task Force Final Recommendations
- LAPA Survey of other states:
Meeting 2: December 22, 2009
- Summary of 12/22/09 meeting
- Meeting agenda
Meeting 3: January 20, 2010
Meeting 4: March 5, 2010
DFG Zebra Mussel species information: http://www.mass.gov/dfwele/dfw/nhesp/conservation/invasives/invasive_zebra_mussel_home.htm
MODR Legal Framework
Questions or comments on the ZMTF? Email ZMTF@umb.edu