On July 8, 2008 the Child Advocate bill was signed into law which included the establishment of the Commission on the Status of Grandparents Raising Grandchildren (Section 1 of Chapter 176, the Acts of 2008 M.G.L. Chapter 3, section 69). This legislation calls for "a permanent commission on the status of grandparents raising grandchildren which consists of 15 persons who have demonstrated a commitment to grandparents."
The Commission's primary purpose is to serve as a "resource to the commonwealth on issues affecting grandparents”. Its main responsibilities include:
- Fostering unity among grandparents raising grandchildren through communities and organizations in the commonwealth; promoting cooperation and sharing of information and encouraging collaboration and joint activities.
- Serving as a liaison between government and private interest groups with regard to the unique interest and concern of grandparents raising grandchildren.
- Advising executive and legislative bodies of the potential effect of proposed legislation on grandparents raising grandchildren, as the commission deems necessary and appropriate.
- Identifying issues that are faced by grandparents and all relatives who are raising children.
Currently, the Commission meets monthly. The meetings are open to the public. For meeting agenda, location and dates, please check the Executive Office of Elder Affairs’ website at: www.mass.gov/elders and for additional information, please visit the Commission’s website @ http://massgrg.com
Massachusetts Commission on the Status of Grandparents Open Meeting
Posted at 11:39 AM, November 15, 2016
Thursday, November 16, 2016 Commission Meeting, 2:00 PM - 4:00 PM
1 Ashburton Place
Manning Conference Room 5th Floor
Boston, MA 02018
Commission Bridge Number: 617-660-4818
Meeting ID: 6018
- Introduction of guest: E. Denise Simmons, Mayor of Cambridge, MA
- Acceptance of the minutes of October 2016
- Interim Treasurer’s Report
- Information Exchange Tour
- Subcommittee Updates
- Information and Referral
- Support Group
- Finance Subcommittee
- Legal Subcommittee
- Report on potential legislation
- Updated bylaws
- Coordinator’s Report
- Chairman’s Report
- Form for evaluation
- Coordinator’s title discussion and decision
Contact the Commission
Ms. Colleen Pritoni
Commission on the Status of Grandparents Raising Grandchildren
Department of Children and Families
600 Washington Street - 6th Floor
Boston, MA 02111