Elder Affairs also runs an Assisted Living Ombudsman Program. While Elder Affairs does not make recommendations you may contact the Assisted Living Ombudsman Program to inquire if any complaints have been filed against any one ALR. The assisted living ombudsman also acts as a mediator and attempts to resolve problems or conflicts that arise between an assisted living residence and one or more of its residents. Anyone can bring a complaint before the ombudsman. The complaint can be on behalf of a specific resident or on behalf of residents as whole. A complaint can range from a violation of an applicable statute or regulations to residents' rights. To contact an Assisted Living Ombudsman you may call Elder Affairs at (617) 727-7750 or 1-800-AGE- INFO (1-800-243-4636).