- Are there barber/beauty shops, convenience stores, banking, or a post office available on the campus?
Building and Grounds Maintenance
- Is maintenance of the building(s) and the grounds included in the monthly fee?
- Exactly what kind of maintenance is provided? Will the community maintain the appliances that came with the unit and/or personal appliances?
- How well are the grounds and buildings maintained?
- Are the living quarters secure, comfortable, and well-maintained? Are they easily accessible and safe?
- Are residents allowed to keep pets in their unit?
- Can residents bring in their own toaster oven, microwave, or other small appliance for their unit if these items are not furnished by the CCRC?
Emergency Response System
- Is there an emergency response system in the unit?
- Is it conveniently located?
- Is the signaling mechanism portable? Does the system still work if the resident is not in their unit? Does the response system work if a resident is outside of the community?
- Where does the system signal, who responds, and how long does it take?
- Is the security system adequate?
- Is it community-wide?
- Is the facility located in a safe area, near family, friends, houses of worship, and hospitals?
- Is the community near parks, museums, theatres, and other places of interest?
- How many meals are included in the monthly fee?
- If only 1 or 2 meals per day are included, is it possible to choose which meal?
- Are meals served in a common dining room?
- Can arrangements be made for meals to be delivered to individual apartments, if a resident is ill or doesn't want to go to the dining room?
- Are therapeutic or special diets included in the fee or do they cost more?
- Is the food good?
- Are guests welcome for meals?
- Are the kitchen facilities clean and sanitary?
Personal Care Services
- What personal care services, if any, are covered in the basic monthly fee?
- What other services are available, how much do they cost, and how are they billed?
- What, if any, is the additional basic monthly fee, for a second occupant in the unit?
- Can residents bring in outside services on their own and does the CCRC need to know about this?
- Does a resident need to take the whole package of services or can they choose services a-la-carte?
- If only service packages are available, do the packages provide enough care?
- How much flexibility is there with assistance or supervision with personal care? Can I determine when I receive assistance with personal care?
- Does the contract guarantee how long the services will continue?
- Who sets the price for the services that are not included in the monthly fee?
- How will residents be notified of any fee changes?
- Are housekeeping, linen service, and laundry included in the basic monthly fee, or are they available at an additional charge? If they are included, how often is each done?
- Does the CCRC accept residents with mild cognitive impairments and are there any special programs for this population?
Recreational and Social Activities
- What types of social and recreational activities are available and how often do they take place?
- Do the residents generally participate in the activities?
- Who plans events?
- Are there separate areas for woodworking or other crafts?
- Is there a golf course or a pool nearby?
- Are wellness classes/clinics offered?
- Are fitness facilities available?
- How active and informed are the residents?
- Is there a Residents' Council? What authority does the Council have?
- What is the role of residents in the governing of the community?
- How are residents' complaints handled by the community?
- Do the staff members have professional backgrounds in the continuing care and geriatrics field?
- What are their qualifications?
- Do they seem sincerely concerned with the safety, security, and well being of the residents? Are they pleasant and caring?
- Is transportation provided on a regularly scheduled basis? Can special arrangements be made to accommodate individual needs?
- Is the available transportation handicapped accessible?
- Are the fees for transportation included in the regular fees or is there a charge associated with use?
- Is the community near public transportation?
- Are utilities covered in the monthly charge?
- Exactly what is covered? Is the phone, cable, heat, electric, gas, and air conditioning included?
- Can the utility charges be raised? For what reasons? How will residents be notified of any changes?