The Senior Nutrition Program provides nutritious meals to seniors who are unable to leave their homes due to illness, disability or frailty through the Home Delivered Meals Program. Supper and weekend meals are also available in some areas. Nutrition assessments and nutrition counseling are provided to the homebound elders who are at nutritional risk.
- People age 60 or older if they:
- Have physical, emotional, or cognitive impairments, or have inadequate kitchen facilities, resulting in an inability to prepare nutritionally adequate meals.
- Are unable to attend congregate meal sites.
- Have no one to help with meal preparation.
- Meet home delivered meals intake criteria
- Act as a caregiver to an immediate family member, and the family member is disabled or homebound.
- No income eligibility test is required.
Note: Home-delivered meals are also offered through the home care program for seniors. This is an integrated program that offers a broad range of services that includes case management, homemaker/personal care, companion service and respite care, and more.
How to Apply
- There are senior nutrition agencies located throughout Massachusetts. To find the nearest agency, call EOEA at 1-800-882-2003.
- Call the local Council on Aging or Aging Services Access Point. The local agency can refer clients to congregate meal sites in their area over the telephone. Clients do not have to go to the agency office to apply.
- The agency will direct clients to call the site manager to let them know when they will be coming to that meal site. If clients call before noon, they will be able to receive a meal.
- If the client needs home-delivered meals, a program representative will arrange an appointment to meet with the client at home for a home-delivered meal assessment.
- Clients who appear to need additional services will be referred to a home-care program that will provide home-delivered meals in conjunction with other services.
- If the client's only need is home-delivered meals, a service plan will be developed based on nutritional needs. For example, a client may need frozen weekend meals in addition to weekday delivery.
- A donation of approximately $1.50-$2.25 is requested, but not required. All donations are strictly confidential.