• Applying for Public Assistance

    Every person has the right, and is afforded the opportunity, to apply for any category of assistance administered by the Department of Transitional Assistance.
  • Basic Banking for Massachusetts

    Basic Banking for Massachusetts was launched in 1994 to expand access to bank products and services and to encourage those with modest incomes to establish banking relationships. Banks participating in Basic Banking for Massachusetts voluntarily provide low-cost checking and savings accounts that help participants save money.
  • Department of Revenue - Child Support Enforcement Unit

    Every child has the legal right to get money from both parents, whether the parents are separated, divorced or were never married. You may be able to get child support and/or health coverage from your child's other parent. The child support you receive will help you make a better life for you and your children. If you are not already receiving child support, call DOR , Child Support Enforcement Unit at 1-800-332-2733.
  • Emergency Shelter

    The Department of Housing and Community Development (DHCD) administers the emergency assistance program through the Division of Housing Stabilization (DHS). If you are worried about losing your current home, DHS has a number of resources that can help you. You can find DHS online or at 617-573-1370 or toll free at 877-418-3308.
  • Emergency Aid to the Elderly, Disabled, and Children (EAEDC)

    This program provides cash benefits to eligible elderly or disabled individuals as well as children.
  • Fuel Assistance

  • Income Verification Unit

    The Income Verification Unit at DTA provides verification of benefits received and the status of existing benefits to recipient and former recipients of TAFDC, EAEDC, and SNAP. Letter requests from the Income Verification Unit assist in the determination of public housing authority rental calculations, school lunch program eligibility, various fuel or energy program eligibility, financial aid benefit calculation for certain college students and holiday gift giving programs. Generally requests are processed immediately by calling 1 800-445-6604 or by the local DTA Office covering your area. The Central Income Verification Unit can also be accessed via fax at 617 889-7843.
  • Massachusetts State Supplement Program (SSP)

  • Program Eligibility Charts and Tables

    The Department of Transitional Assistance maintains this site to provide greater access to the program eligibility standards.
  • Public Benefits for People with Disabilities

  • Recipient Services

    Recipient Services at DTA is a function within Central Eligibility Operations' Call Center that serves as a statewide representative appointed to receive and investigate issues and/or questions in regard to benefit eligibility from current recipients, advocates, and or the general public. In addition, the Recipient Services Unit can also recommend or refer callers to other suitable Human Service Agencies for services as considered appropriate.
    The Unit can be reached at 1 800-445-6604.
  • Reporting Fraud

    The Massachusetts Department of Transitional Assistance is committed to ensuring that funds are directed toward individuals and families who truly need assistance. If you suspect fraud in the public assistance program, please call our toll-free hotline at 1-800-Fraud-99 (1-800-372-8399) or fill out the Suspected Fraud Reporting Form and email or fax it to the Department of Transitional Assistance. Your confidentiality will be respected. Anonymous information is also accepted.
  • Supplemental Security Income (SSI) and Social Security Disability Income (SSDI)

  • Tax Assistance - Earned Income Credit (EITC/EIC)

    If you or someone in your family works, you may be eligible for the federal Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) and the state Earned Income Credit (EIC) tax credits. Filing EITC/EIC tax credits could mean you will pay no taxes and still get a refund from the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) or Massachusetts Department of Revenue (DOR). To qualify, you must work and meet certain income and other requirements and file a tax return, even if you did not earn enough money to be required to file. In Massachusetts, getting the EITC/EIC refunds will not affect your eligibility for MassHealth/Medicaid, SSI, food stamps, low-income housing, EAEDC or TAFDC. For more information about EITC/EIC or to find out how to get free help with filing your tax return, call the IRS at 1-800-829-1040 (TTY/TDD: 1-800-829-4059) or for state information call the DOR at 617-887-MDOR (6367) or toll-free in Massachusetts:1-800-392-6089.
  • Transitional Aid to Families with Dependent Children (TAFDC)

    Transitional Aid to Families with Dependant Children, TAFDC, provides time-limited cash benefits to certain families with dependent children and pregnant women in the last 120 days of pregnancy.