About the Program
The Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program/SNAP is a nutrition program for families and individuals that meet certain income and resource guidelines. SNAP benefits help you buy nutritious food for your family. You can be working and still qualify for SNAP benefits. If you qualify for SNAP benefits you can use these benefits to purchase food at most grocery stores, convenience stores and pharmacies.
SNAP benefits are accessed with an Electronic Benefit Transfer Card (EBT). These cards are used the same way you would use a debit or ATM card. SNAP benefits can be used to buy any food product except alcohol, pet food or heated foods.
Populations ServedFamilies and individuals that meet certain income and resource guidelines.
Eligibility CriteriaSNAP eligibility depends on household size, assets, income and certain living expenses. Proceed to the SNAP Application.
To apply for SNAP benefits you may:
- Go to the Department of Transitional Assistance Office that serves your city or town.
- Print an application provided here.
- Complete and print a fillable application provided here. Please note, the Adobe Acrobat Reader only allows you to view and print fillable PDF forms. It does not allow you to save the completed form to your computer. Once you complete the application, make sure you print it, sign it, and mail to: DTA P.O. Box 4406 Taunton, MA 02780-0420.
Fill-able SNAP Application
- SNAP Benefits Application (Rev. 1/2014) (English Fill-In PDF)
- SNAP Benefits Application (Rev. 1/2014) (Spanish Fill-In PDF)
- SNAP Benefits Application (Rev. 1/2014) (Portuguese Fill-In PDF)
- SNAP Benefits Application (Vietnamese) PDF
- SNAP Benefits Application (Haitian Creole) PDF
- SNAP Benefits Application (Russian) PDF
- SNAP Benefits Application (Chinese) PDF
- SNAP Benefits Application (Khmer)
- To apply for SNAP benefits you may:
- call the SNAP Hotline at 1-866-950 FOOD (3663) to have an application mailed to you. Remember to ask for the Elder SNAP application if you are a senior (age 60 or older) - it's easier to fill out!
- Visit www.mass.gov/dta and view the Apply for SNAP/Food Stamps Online link to download an application form.
- You may also apply online by visiting our website and viewing the Apply for SNAP/Food Stamps Online link.
- Or, you can visit your local Department of Transitional Assistance (DTA) office.
- Fill out the application as much as you can. Be sure to write your name and address and sign it.
- Mail the application to: DTA P.O. Box 4406 Taunton, MA 02780-0420.
After you submit your application:
- You must have an interview with a case manager to talk about your application. You can have the interview at a local office or over the phone, depending on your situation.
- You will need to show proofs as part of the application process. You will receive information about what proofs you need to show your case manager when your application is being reviewed.
- You will get a decision on your application within 30 days.
Department of Transitional Assistance
600 Washington St.
Boston, MA 02111
Telephone: 1-866-950-FOOD (3663)
Fax: Varies by office
Languages: All languages are accommodated either by staff or interpreter services.
DTA has more than 20 offices across Massachusetts. To find the office nearest you, visit www.mass.gov/dta and view the DTA Office Locations link or call the SNAP Hotline at 1-866-950-FOOD (3663) Monday through Friday from 8:45 AM to 5 PM.
You can get a brochure about the SNAP benefits by calling 1-866-950-FOOD (3663).
This information is provided by the Department of Transitional Assistance.