WIC Produces Positive Prenatal and Birth Outcomes
WIC participation is positively associated with gestational age and mean birth weight; and negatively associated with the incidence of low and very low birth weight.
WIC Improves Children’s Health
- WIC protects young children from low-income families from negative health and growth consequences.
- WIC participation is associated with improved diets in children.
- Children who participate in WIC or whose mothers are on WIC have a greater utilization of both preventive and curative health care services than nonparticipants.
- WIC participation has a positive effect on mean levels of hemoglobin or hematocrit and/or a reduction in the incidence of anemia.
WIC Improves Immunization Rates
Linking WIC and immunization improves the health of children.
WIC Has a Positive Effect on Breastfeeding
- Prenatal WIC enrollees are more likely to have ever breastfed than postpartum enrollees. Those who enroll in WIC in the 1st trimester are more likely to have ever breastfed than women who enroll in the 3rd trimester.
- WIC Breastfeeding Peer Counseling Program caused breastfeeding initiation to increase by about 27 percentage points and the mean duration of breastfeeding to increase by more than 3 weeks.
The Revised WIC Food Package is Making a Difference
Changes to the WIC food package have (1) increased fruit, vegetable, low fat milk and whole grain consumption among participants, (2) increased availability of healthy foods at small stores and (3) increased the issuance rate of exclusively breastfeeding food packages.
This information is provided by the Women, Infants and Children (WIC) Nutrition Program within the Department of Public Health .
People also viewed...
You recently viewed...
Personalization is OFF. Your personal browsing history at Mass.gov is not visible because your personalization is turned off. To view your history, turn your personalization on.
Learn more on our .
*Recommendations are based on site visitor traffic patterns and are not endorsements of that content.