Welcome to the Disability Determination Services of the Massachusetts Rehabilitation Commission. Thank you for visiting our web page. We hope you take the time to find out what services we offer and how we process disability claims. Please click on one of the links below to get more information about the topic of your choice. Thank you again for visiting and come back soon.
Who We Are - What We Do
The Disability Determination Services (DDS) is 100% funded by the Social Security Administration (SSA and determines the initial and continued eligibility for federal SSI and SSDI public benefits. Special outreach efforts are made to homeless shelters and individuals diagnosed with HIV.
The DDS has offices located in Boston and Worcester.
In accordance with Social Security regulations, the DDS disability examiners and physician consultants determine eligibility of Massachusetts applicants for two disability programs:
- Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) - ages 18- 65
- Supplemental Security Income (SSI) - ages birth - 65
The claims processed by the Massachusetts DDS include:
- Initial applications
- Reconsideration applications - 1st appeal of a denied initial application
- Continuing Disability Reviews - Periodic reviews to determine who should continue receiving benefits.
- Disability Hearings - Face to face informal hearing as a part of the appeal of a Continuing Disability Review cessation determination.
Consultants at DDS
We employ more than 70 medical and psychological consultants in-house and more than 300 medical and psychological consultants throughout the state to assist us in determining claimants' eligibility for disability benefits under Social Security.
This information is provided by the Massachusetts Rehabilitation Commission.
People also viewed...
You recently viewed...
Personalization is OFF. Your personal browsing history at Mass.gov is not visible because your personalization is turned off. To view your history, turn your personalization on.
Learn more on our .
*Recommendations are based on site visitor traffic patterns and are not endorsements of that content.