Massachusetts Rehabilitation Commission (MRC) Home Modification Resources

Vocational Rehabilitation Program

The Rehabilitation Technology Department’s Adaptive Housing Program at MRC serves consumers with disabilities who are pursuing vocational/employment goals with needs for home modification. Contact: Eugene Blumkin (617)-204-3721 or

Independent Living Center: Title VII Part B

In Massachusetts, federal money from Title VII Part B funding is made available to many of the Independent Living Centers (ILC) in Massachusetts for the purchase of equipment and services to assist people to maintain or achieve independence. For more information, please contact a regional ILC or Cindy Wentz at (617)-204-3628 or

Statewide Head Injury Program and Turning 22-IL Program

Individuals eligible for services through the Statewide Head Injury Program or the Turning 22-IL Program should speak with their case manager/service coordinator about their adaptive housing needs. Contact: SHIP at (617) 204-3852 or T22-IL at (617) 204-3851.

Home Modification Loan Program

The Home Modification Loan Program provides low- and no-interest loans to modify the homes of elders, adults and children with disabilities.  Such home modifications allow individuals with disabilities to remain in their homes and live independently in their communities.  Any homeowner who has a disability or has a household member who has a disability, or rents to an individual with a disability may apply for this loan.  Contact: Susan Gillam at (617)-204-3739 or via email at or visit the website for more information

The Massachusetts Assistive Technology Loan Program (ATLP)

The Massachusetts Assistive Technology Loan Program (ATLP) provides low-interest loans to qualified people with disabilities and their families to purchase assistive technology devices and services that will help them lead more independent lives. If you are not financially eligible for home modifications under the HMLP, you can apply to the ATLP. Contact: Leonidas Tonevski at 1-800-244-2756 ext.428 TTY 1-800-564-9700 or

Other State Agencies with Home Modification Resources

Massachusetts Commission for the Blind (MCB): Title VII Part B

In Massachusetts, federal money from Title VII Part funding for individuals who are legally blind is available through the MCB for the purchase of equipment and services to assist blind, multiply disabled individuals to maintain or achieve independence.  MCB case managers make referrals to MCB's Title VII, Part B Supervisor.

Department of Developmental Services (DDS)

Individuals eligible for services for the Department of Mental Retardation may be eligible to receive adaptive housing services through the Family Support Program.  For more information contact your regional DMR office or visit

Massachusetts Executive Office of Elder Affairs (EOEA)

EOEA directs or provides services to thousands of elders in the Commonwealth. 1-800-243-4636 (1-800-AGE-INFO)

Catastrophic Illness in Children Relief Fund (CICRF)

The Catastrophic Illness in Children Relief Fund was established by legislation in 2000 to help families bear the excessive financial burdens associated with the care of children with special health care needs and disabilities. For more information, call Division for Special Health Needs Community Support Line at 1-800-882-1435 or go to

Mass Housing, Home Improvement Loan Program

Mass Housing is the state's affordable housing bank. They lend money at rates below the conventional market to support affordable rental and home ownership opportunities for low- and moderate-income residents of Massachusetts.  The Home Improvement Loan Program provides funds to make general, non-luxury improvements to your property, which include necessary home modifications. 617-854-1000

Regional Organizations with Home Modification Resources

Rebuilding Together

Rebuilding Together is a nonprofit organization, using community resources and volunteers to provide free home modifications and repairs for elders and individuals with disabilities.

The following communities in Massachusetts have local Rebuilding Together chapters:

  • Boston: 617-971-0058
  • Worcester: 508-842-8833
  • Haverhill: 978-469-0800
  • Lowell: 978-458-7816
  • Springfield: 413-750-0958

Federal Agencies with Home Modification Resources

U.S. Housing and Urban Development

Community Development Block Grant Program (CDBG)

The Massachusetts Community Development Block Grant Program is a federally funded program designed to help small cities and towns meet a broad range of community development initiatives.  Some communities may chose to use these funds for home modifications or home repairs. Visit  to see if your community receives CDBG funding or contact your city/town’s Housing or Community Development Office.

U.S. Department of Agriculture, Rural Development

Home Improvement Loans and Grants

Low income rural homeowners may receive funds to make substantial home repairs, or to remove health and safety hazards.  The Home Repair Program also provides funds to make a home accessible to someone with disabilities.  Homeowners 62 years and older are eligible for grants, other low income families and individuals may receive loans at a 1% interest rate.   Visit for more information.  Or contact a regional office: Western MA 413-585-1000, Central MA and the North Shore 508-829-4477, Southeastern MA, Cape and Islands 508-295-5151

Department of Veteran's Affairs
            Veterans with service disabilities can receive funds to modify their homes.  The Specially

Adapted Housing Program allows veterans with a service related disability to receive a grant of not more than 50% of cost of specially adapted housing unit or to a max of $60,000. The funds may be used to build, buy or modify a home. For more information call 800-827-1000 or go to website at

Homes for Our Troops

Homes for Our Troops is a non-profit, non-partisan, 501 (c)(3) organization founded in 2004.  The organization assists severely injured Servicemen and Women and their immediate families by raising donations of money, building materials and professional labor and then coordinating the process of building a new home or adapting an existing home for accessibility.

(Toll free) 1-866-7-TROOPS

Disability Specific Organizations

These organizations offer a range of resources and may or may not have resources specifically related to home modifications.

Muscular Dystrophy Association

  • Greater Boston - Boston (617) 368-9155
  • Southeast - Raynham (508) 821-1533
  • Central Mass. - Westboro (508) 898-3375
  • Northeast - Beverly (978) 720-2800
  • Western Mass - Longmeadow (413) 567-5500

Multiple Sclerosis Society, New England Chapter
   (781) 890-4990 or (800) 493-9255

Spina Bifida Association, Massachusetts Chapter

            (888) 479-1900

United Cerebral Palsy (UCP)


Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS) Association of MA  781-326-4600

American Heart and Stroke Association


American Parkinson’s Disease Association


Brain Injury Association of Massachusetts


Federation for Children with Special Needs


            (617) 236-7210

            Western MA, (413) 323-0681

Civic and Religious Organizations

There are many civic and religious organizations that provide help to individuals on a wide variety of issues.  You should reach out to those in your community who may know more about what is available in your community.  Some examples of these kinds of organizations include:

Elks, Knights of Columbus, Shriner's, Lion's, Rotary, Masons Grand Lodge

This information is provided by the Massachusetts Rehabilitation Commission.