Landlords: Loans for landlords with tenants who need access modifications

The HMLP can be a great option for some landlords who want to improve the accessibility of their units. A landlord who has an identified tenant with a disability or plans to have an identified tenant with a disability may apply for the loan. A landlord owning fewer than 10 units in the building may apply for a Home Modification loan at 3 % interest. As in the case of a homeowner loan, the modifications to be made must be documented and must relate to the tenant's (beneficiary's) functional needs.

Landlords of buildings with 10 or more units

Any landlord with a unit in a building of 10 or more units is required to make modifications under MGL Paragraph 7A, Chapter 151B Section 4 and is NOT eligible for Home Modification Loan Program. If, however, a landlord can prove hardship through litigation under this statute, application may be made to the Home Modification Loan Program.

Homeowners who rent units to family members

In most cases, homeowners who rent units to family members may qualify for the 0% or 3% loans. In such cases, income eligibility is determined based on the total household income of the homeowner's household and of the tenant/beneficiary's household. It is best to contact your Provider to determine the loan for which you may be eligible.

Why should I take out a loan for my tenant?

All landlords want stable tenants and decreased vacancy rates. Improving access for your tenant reduces turnover and improves the stability of your property.

Improving the accessibility of your units increases the pool of tenants who might rent from you in the future, decreasing the length of future vacancies. Modifications in a unit make it desirable to individuals with disabilities, families with children with disabilities, and the elderly.

Landlord Resource:

Mass Access is a free program that matches people with disabilities with vacant, accessible apartments. To list a current vacancy contact CHAPA at (617) 742-0820 or (800) 466-3111.

This information is provided by the Massachusetts Rehabilitation Commission.