Other Helpful Links
- NE Index, Information on Disabilities Exchange
Search for contractors and many other providers of services to people with disabilities. For a list of home modification contractors click on " Search for a Program or a Service" go to "Browse by selecting a program type" and select "home modification." Please note that NE Index, MRC or Providers of the Home Modification Loan Program cannot recommend contractors. The NE Index can be used as a resource similar to the Yellow Pages.
- Massachusetts Consumer Affairs
Check the record of a contractor, file a complaint and get advice on resolving a consumer problem. This site also has information on Home Improvement. View the CA information.
- National Consumer Law Center
Basic information for consumers on the most critical consumer issues.
- Plan For Success : Executive Office of Public Safety and Security provides a list of questions that a homeowner may wish to address when selecting a building contractor.
- AT Loan Program
The Massachusetts Assistive Technology Loan Program, operated by Easter Seals Massachusetts, is an alternative financing project that gives people with disabilities and elders access to low interest cash loans to purchase assistive devices and services. The program has many options that can help - even for people who don't think they would qualify for a loan.
- Adaptive Environments: Human Centered Design www.AdaptiveEnvironments.org Phone: 617-695-1225 Adaptive Environments provides consultation services about accessibility and universal design in a wide range of built environments including but not limited to public buildings, schools, offices, urban design, transportation, healthcare settings, public space, cultural facilities and a wide range of residential design. Services range from analysis of existing conditions and strategic planning to working collaboratively on design teams for both new construction and renovation. They specialize in clarifying legal and code requirements for accessibility but also on recommending best practices from a universal design perspective, drawing on an extensive knowledge of international design solutions.
- The Accessible Housing Registry
Finding accessible rental housing: Mass Access is a free program that matches people with disabilities with vacant, accessible apartments. Contact CHAPA at (617) 742-0820 or (800) 466-3111. V/TTY (617) 742-5498.
This information is provided by the Massachusetts Rehabilitation Commission.