To apply for our services, you must complete the Application for Eligibility Form. Application forms are available at our area offices, regional offices and on this website. You can fax or mail the completed application to the regional eligibility team that covers the geographical area where you live.

You can expect to be contacted by a Regional Eligibility Team member to schedule a face-to-face meeting to begin gathering the information needed to determine eligibility for our services. The meeting can take place at a departmental office, or a convenient location where an interview can occur.

You are responsible for providing the information requested by us to process your application. The information that you may be asked to provide include the following: (1) information about the applicant's functional abilities, (2) family information, (3) social security number, (4) insurance information, and (5) other legal documents such as guardianship decree, birth certificate, and immigration papers. In addition, you or your family member will be asked to give the Department permission to get records, such as, school records, psychological test reports and medical records that will be used by the Regional Eligibility Team in making a decision. The Regional Eligibility Team can help you get information but you have the responsibility and will be expected to actively participate in this process.

Generally, a written decision will be sent to you 60 days after the Regional Eligibility Team receives the completed Application for Eligibility Form. There are three types of eligibility determinations: eligible, ineligible and deferral of eligibility determination. If you are found eligible, you will be given the name of the area office that will be responsible for your service planning and prioritization. If you are found ineligible, you will be given information about your appeal rights. If we are unable to render a decision, you will be told as to what additional information is needed to complete the eligibility process.

This information is provided by the Department of Developmental Services.