170 Pleasant Street, Room 300
Fall River, MA 02721- 3015
FAX (508) 676-2734
We assist individuals of all disabilities to go to work. If you are unemployed or underemployed, you may be able to benefit from vocational services. All VR consumers must reside in Massachusetts and be eligible to work in the United States. The Fall River Area Office serves the following: Assonet, Fall River, East Freetown, Freetown, Lakeville, Seekonk, Somerset, Swansea, and Westport.
To Make a Referral
Any individual with a disability can inquire about obtaining services. Friends, relatives and health care providers can also refer an individual to MRC. Our services are designed to assist individuals with disabilities to make informed choices about work. You can start this process by:
• Call (508)-678-9041 weekdays between the hours of 9:00 am and 5:00 pm and ask for the Counselor On Duty. The counselor will complete a short inquiry form based on information you provide.
• Walk in to our office between the hours 9:00 am and 4:00 pm weekdays and ask for the Counselor On Duty. The counselor will assist you in completing the inquiry form.
• Family members and service providers may also refer you for services by either of these methods.
• All individuals referred are subject to a 90 day wait period before being able to apply for services.
The Fall River Area Office offers a variety of individual services and group offerings to get you back to work, including:
- Aptitude and Interest Testing: A variety of interest inventories and aptitude tests are available to help you identify your vocational preferences and correlate them with your natural talents and strengths.
- Job Placement: MRC staff can assist with job development and placement. Some clients will be provided job development and placement services with a community vendor. If additional coaching is needed on the job, MRC may be able to provide that service as well.
- Job Groups and Workshops: The Fall River Area Office regularly provides a variety of workshops for consumers related to finding employment.
- Social Security Benefits Counseling: Meet with an MRC Benefits Counselor who will explain what happens to your SSI/SSDI benefits when you return to work.
- Training: If you are found financially eligible, you may be provided training opportunities at local colleges or technical programs to prepare you for your vocational goal. Counselors will also connect you with other training opportunities in the community as they arise and as appropriate to help you reach your employment goal.
- Transition Services for Individuals Graduating from High School: Counselors may attend transition meetings for students with disabilities leaving high school and assist them in planning for future services and/or provide vocational guidance.
- Assistive Technology: Persons who may benefit from rehabilitation or assistive technology will be referred for a specialized evaluation. In some cases, MRC may be able to purchase technology on behalf of the consumer.
- Services to Deaf, Hard of Hearing, and late-Deafened Persons: Persons who are deaf, hard of hearing, or late-deafened may work with a specialized counselor knowledgeable of deaf culture and specialized needs of the community.
- Services to the Portuguese, Spanish, and Khmer Communities: The Fall River counseling staff includes individuals who speak Portuguese, Spanish, and Khmer languages.
Our goal is to provide you with the necessary services to assist you with entering or returning to the workforce.
Directions to Our Office
- From Route 93 (128), take 24 South to Route 195 West, Fall River.
- *Take Exit 7 & 6, (Plymouth Ave./Pleasant St.), then stay left at split, and take the next right onto Exit 6 Pleasant Street.
- Go right on Pleasant, then take immediate first left on Seventh Street. Turn left at end of the block onto Bedford Street.
- Take the 3rd left onto Third St., then first left onto Henry Seneca Drive.
- Go up hill to lights /intersection. Go straight through. Pleasant Street begins here.
From New Bedford/Cape Cod:
- Take 195 West, and follow directions at exit 7 & 6 (above).
- Take 195 East, go over the Braga Bridge.
- Take Exit 6, Downtown & Hartwell Street.
- Bear right on Hartwell Street (one way).
- Continue to bear right to intersection.
- Take a right at intersection (light) onto Pleasant Street.
- *Follow directions as above.
** Our building (four story red brick) is the first one on the left on the corner of Troy & Pleasant Streets.
Handicapped parking is available on the street in front of the building, and in the parking lot next to the building. MRC has three parking slots against the side of the building. Other street parking is metered.
This information is provided by the Massachusetts Rehabilitation Commission.