About the program
This coverage type offers benefits to people aged 65 and older who live in the community and who meet all MassHealth Standard requirements except immigration. This coverage type is available only to aliens with special status.
In MassHealth Essential, covered services include those listed below. There may be some limits. Your health-care provider can explain them.
- inpatient hospital services
- outpatient services: hospitals, clinics, doctors, dentists
- medical services: labs, X rays, therapies, pharmacy services*, speech and hearing services, medical equipment and supplies
- behavioral health (mental health and substance abuse) services
- emergency ambulance services
- quit-smoking services
*If you are eligible for both Medicare and MassHealth, Medicare will provide most of your prescription drug coverage through a Medicare prescription drug plan. Visit www.medicare.gov or call 1-800-MEDICARE for information about whether you need to enroll in a Medicare prescription drug plan, and, if so, how to choose one that is best for you.
You may be able to get MassHealth Essential if you are:
- aged 65 and older and living in the community; and
- an alien with special status.
To be an alien with special status, you must have certain immigration status. Please call the MassHealth Customer Service Center for more information.
- Income standard: 100% of the federal poverty level
- Asset standard: $2,000 or less for an individual, $3,000 or less for a married couple living together
If your assets are too high, you can reduce them by following certain rules. If your income is too high, you will have a deductible. The deductible is the total amount of your monthly income that is greater than MassHealth's income standard over a six-month period.
Call a MassHealth Enrollment Center at 1-888-665-9993 (TTY: 1-888-665-9997 for people with partial or total hearing loss) to request a Senior Medical Benefit Request (SMBR), or download a Senior Medical Benefit Request:
Submit the completed application to the one MassHealth Enrollment Center (MEC) listed below that is closest to where you live.
300 Ocean Avenue
Revere, MA 02151
21 Spring Street
Taunton, MA 02780
333 Bridge Street
Springfield, MA 01103
367 East Street
Tewksbury, MA 01876
MassHealth Enrollment Center: 1-888-665-9993
(TTY: 1-888-665-9997 for people with partial or total hearing loss)
Office hours: Monday through Friday 9 A.M. to 5 P.M.
This information is provided by MassHealth.