CANS Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- Questions about Requirements, Billing, and Consent
- Questions for clinic administrators, behavioral health providers, and others using the CANS
- Clarification when documenting and entering CANS for youth in the Virtual Gateway CBHI Application
Getting on to the Virtual Gateway (VG)
To access the CANS Application on the VG:
- You must have an account with the VG.
- You must be CANS certified.
You can complete your CANS training and certification online. Go to the Mass CANS Training Program website: https://masscans.ehs.state.ma.us.
The link below will provide the information you need to become a Virtual Gateway User:
Virtual Gateway: Updated Login and Manage My Account Pages
This document shows you how to log in and how to manage your account on the Virtual Gateway. (PDF)
Reference Guides for CANS Users
Excerpted from the August 2010 edition of CANSNews, this document provides information on the features and enhancements announced in the winter 2010, release of the CANS application.
- Reference Guide: CBHI Certified Assessor (PDF)
file size 35MB
For clinicians: learn how to enter a CANS, generate reports, and fax consent forms.
- Reference Guide: CBHI Data Entry Operator (PDF)
file size 30MB
For clinician assistants: learn how to enter CANS data for a clinician. Also has useful info for Certified Assessors.
- Reference Guide: CBHI Organization (PDF)
file size 25MB
For administrators: learn how to view CANS data for an organization and generate relevant reports.
- Reference Guide: CBHI Managed Care Entity (PDF)
file size 22MB
For Managed Care Entities (MCE): learn how to assess CANS data and generate relevant reports.
- Reference Guide: Faxing CBHI Consent Forms (PDF)
file size 13MB
Explains the procedure for faxing consents-Do not use your agency's fax coversheet!
- Reference Guide: Export/File Import to MS Excel (PDF)
file size 17MB
Provides information on how to obtain your organization's CANS data in a data file.
- Virtual Gateway Customer Service (PDF)
file size 6MB
Guidance on the information you should have when you call for help.
- Learn how a CBHI data entry operator adds a SED/CANS Assessment
This link provides data-entry operators with an easy, interactive online lesson that walks them through the adding of a CBHI SED/CANS Assessment.
- Learn how to edit a SED/CANS Assessment
This link provides certified assessors with an easy, interactive online lesson that steps them through activating their Certification Key and how to edit a CBHI SED/CANS Assessment.
This information is provided by MassHealth.