"I don't know what screens to use."
- The approved screening tools are found in this training module. For a brief description of each screening tool.
"I don't know what to do with a patient with a positive screen."
- There are suggestions and resources for you in a the section " What to Do When a Behavioral-Health Need Is Identified."
"We simply don't have the time to screen."
- Guidance on how to get started with routine, standardized screening while avoiding time-consuming pitfalls, is available based on programs implemented in some practices within Massachusetts and other states.
- Experience shows that standardized screening, once established on a routine basis, is not prohibitively time consuming. In fact, some practices report that the screening saves them time in the long run by uncovering problems or concerns early, when they can deal with them more effectively and efficiently. Routine screening can head off end-of-visit "doorknob" comments, such as, "By the way, Doctor, I'm worried about...".
"I won't get reimbursed."
- MassHealth will pay for behavioral-health screening. For information on billing.
This information is provided by MassHealth.