- provide the necessary follow-up services; or
- refer the member to a specialist.
The PCP must help the family and member find the recommended services. Assistance is available through the Managed Care Organizations (MCOs), or the Massachusetts Behavioral Health Partnership (MBHP) if the member is enrolled with one of these plans or through the MassHealth Customer Service Center. MassHealth will track visits, screens delivered, and screens with a behavioral-health need identified. For contact information, www.mass.gov/masshealth/childbehavioralhealth.
Follow-up in the Primary-Care Setting
- Counseling can be provided "on the spot" during the well-child visit.
- A "second-stage" screening can be conducted for specific issues such as ADHD, anxiety, or depression.
- Written information can be given to patients and families. Many good sources are available, for example, from the:
- Substance-abuse information and assistance can be provided at
Massachusetts Substance Abuse Information and Education or by calling 1-800-327-5050.
- Counseling can be done at a follow-up appointment with the PCP or another clinical staff member.
When a Referral Is Indicated
- Continue to refer to other MassHealth behavioral-health resources.
- If you need assistance, call Massachusetts Child Psychiatry Access Project (MCPAP). The goal of this program is to make child-psychiatry services accessible to PCPs throughout the Commonwealth.
- The MCPAP team consists of a child psychiatrist, a licensed social worker, and a care coordinator.
- A MCPAP team member is accessible by pager from 9 A.M. to 5 P.M., Monday through Friday, and generally returns pages within 30 minutes.
- Services consist of consultation to the PCP and, when indicated, transitional services.
- MCPAP serves all children regardless of insurance status, in six regions across the Commonwealth.
- More information is available on their Web site: www.mcpap.org.
- Other behavioral-health resources can be located by calling the Customer Service office of the Managed Care Organizations (MCO), the Massachusetts Behavioral Health Partnership (MBHP), or MassHealth. For contact information, www.mass.gov/masshealth/childbehavioralhealth.
Assistance with managing follow-up of screening results is available from the following.
People also viewed...
You recently viewed...
Personalization is OFF. Your personal browsing history at Mass.gov is not visible because your personalization is turned off. To view your history, turn your personalization on.
Learn more on our .
*Recommendations are based on site visitor traffic patterns and are not endorsements of that content.