The jobseekers you serve need transportation that is accessible, reliable, and affordable in order to get to jobs, classes, and training programs. The following resources can help you incorporate transportation services into your work.
Resources and Tools
- Partnering and coordinating with other organizations
- Employers and transportation
- Transit authorities in Massachusetts
- Finding transportation services in Massachusetts
- Car ownership programs
- Employment transportation strategies from across the country
- READYBUS provides employment transportation in Central Massachusetts by commingling workers with seniors and people with disabilities
- North Shore Career Center employment transportation
- Getting to Work: Effective State Solutions to Help People With Transportation Challenges Access Jobs. This report documents approaches that states are taking to help people with disabilities, low incomes, or other mobility challenges access transportation to employment. National Conference of State Legislatures, 2015.
- Sector strategies. These briefs present research on the transportation needs of low-wage workers in some of the key sectors that are powering the economy, including healthcare and manufacturing. Community Transportation Association of America (CTAA), 2012.
- Missed Opportunity: Transit and Jobs in Metro America. This report finds that higher rates of high-skill jobs are accessible by public transit, compared to low-skill jobs. Brookings Institution, 2011.
- Commuting to Opportunity. This report assesses the impact of commuting expenses on the budgets of low-income workers and their households. Brookings Institution, 2008.
- The Long Journey to Work. Although somewhat dated, this report provides a clear, strong background on some of the challenges and opportunities in transportation for low-income commuters. The author explores a range of approaches, including public transit, door-to-door services, and programs that support car ownership. Brookings Institution, 2003.
This information is provided by the EOHHS Human Service Transportation Office.