VISION: Youth involved in the juvenile justice system will have opportunities to develop into healthy and productive adults. Every juvenile detention and corrections facility in America should run as if your child were the next youth to be admitted.
MISSION: To establish more effective and efficient systems to detention policies, practices, and programs to accomplish the following objectives:
- Eliminate the inappropriate or unnecessary use of secure detention;
- Minimize re-arrest and failure-to-appear rates pending adjudication;
- Improve condition of confinement in secure facilities;
- Redirect public finances to sustain successful reforms; and
- Reduce racial, ethnic and gender disparities.
VALUES: Serving the right youth, in the right place, for the right reasons
- Serving youth in the least restrictive setting
- Protecting public safety
- Reducing racial, ethnic and gender disparities at all decision points in the juvenile justice system
- Establishing programs to be efficient and effective
- Using data to guide decision-making
The Juvenile Detention Alternative Initiative (JDAI) in Massachusetts works to ensure that “the right youth, is in the right place, for the right reasons.”
This information is provided by the Massachusetts Juvenile Detention Alternative Initiative.