- A temporary faculty license is for a physician with a faculty appointment at a medical school in Massachusetts which is affiliated with a hospital, primarily for teaching.
- A temporary license for physician coverage (locum tenens) which allows a physician to substitute for another physician for a period of up to three months.
- A temporary CME license is for a physician to attend a course of medical education in Massachusetts.
- A short term faculty license is for a physician who has a short term faculty appointment at a medical school in Massachusetts which is affiliated with a hospital for a period of 30 days.
A physician applying for a temporary faculty license or a temporary CME license must hold a full license in another state or territory or in the District of Columbia or in another country. A physician applying for a temporary license for physician coverage must hold a full license in another state or territory. A temporary license is not an interim license while a full license is in process or for participating in residency or fellowship training. For a description of license requirements and fees, see Licensing Fees and General Information.
Applicants should download or print the Application Kit—it contains all the necessary documents.
Please read the instructions carefully before completing your application.
Application Kit for Temporary License
Temporary License Application Kit file size 1MB
The application kit is a PDF file (Adobe Portable Document Format). You must have the Adobe Acrobat Reader Plugin for your browser in order to download or print the documents. Acrobat Reader is a free download from Adobe. It can be obtained by selecting this link. First download the reader, then run the installation program to add the plugin to your browser.
The application documents are also available in Word format. IF YOU CHOOSE NOT TO USE THE KIT, THEN YOU MUST DOWNLOAD OR PRINT ALL THE DOCUMENTS BELOW. ALL FORMS MUST BE SUBMITTED.
- Temporary License Letter
- Application Instructions
- Application Checklist
- Temporary Application
- Temporary Supplement
- Medicare Tax Form
- Authorization for Release
- Moral and Professional Form
- Medical Education Verification
- Temporary Evaluation
- State License Verification (Form 5)
- Malpractice History Form
- AMA Forms
This information is provided by the Board of Registration in Medicine.