Prospective and current foster families receive information, guidance and support services from the Department of Children and Families and other referral organizations.
What support is available for foster parents?
- The Department of Children and Families provides you with sufficient information about a child before placement, so that you can determine whether you can care for the child.
- You are assigned a foster care worker from the Department of Children and Families who provides you with direct service and support.
- A Social Worker from the Department of Children and Families is assigned to the child placed in your home, who provides the child with direct service, including monthly visits in your home.
- The Department of Children and Families provides you an age-based stipend for each child, to cover the child's living expenses.
- The Department of Children and Families provides a quarterly allowance for each child for clothing, school recreation and related expenses.
- The Department also offers training classes to help you maintain proper foster care licensing.
- You can call our help line at any time with questions and concerns. Our help line is open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
- You have access to respite care and other family support services, if you need a break from foster parenting.
- The Department provides your foster child comprehensive medical and dental coverage.
- The Mass Health program covers a specific list of medications, as long as you have a prescription from a physician, dentist or other medical provider licensed to prescribe.
Massachusetts Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Children (MSPCC), Kid's Net program
Office for Child Care Services
Child Care Resource and Referral Agency
This information is provided by the Department of Children and Families.
People also viewed...
You recently viewed...
Personalization is OFF. Your personal browsing history at Mass.gov is not visible because your personalization is turned off. To view your history, turn your personalization on.
Learn more on our .
*Recommendations are based on site visitor traffic patterns and are not endorsements of that content.