Department of Mental Health Task Force on Staff and Client Safety
In February 2011, Commissioner Barbara A. Leadholm established a Task Force on Staff and Client Safety to conduct a thorough review of the Department of Mental Health's policies and practices pertaining to safety, especially for the workforce. Following the tragic death of mental health worker Stephanie Moulton, it was vital to review opportunities for improvements to current practices and policies, while advancing the mission of providing services, support and opportunities for individuals with serious mental illness to live safely, productively and as independently as possible in the community.
The task force was co-chaired by retired District Court Judge Paul Healy and Dr. Kenneth L. Appelbaum, Professor of Clinical Psychiatry and Director of Mental Health Policy and Research at the University of Massachusetts Center for Health Policy and Research. Task force members included representatives of provider organizations, labor unions, advocates, DMH staff, and other stakeholders.
- Download Commissioner Leadholm's Message (Word)
- Download the Report (Word)
- Download the Minority Report (Word)
Task Force Updates
- January 14, 2013 Department of Mental Health Safety Task Force Implementation Report
- September 14, 2011 Department of Mental Health Actions on the Recommendations of the Task Force on Staff and Client Safety (Word)