The Massachusetts Department of Mental Health recognizes the essential role of wellness in recovery from psychiatric illness. Recent data from Massachusetts and other states show that those with psychiatric illness die from treatable medical illnesses at rates that are significantly higher than those without psychiatric illness, dying up to 25 years earlier than the general population from cardiovascular disease, respiratory illness and lung cancer. In light of this significant health disparity with substantially increased risk of early death and significant disabling illness among consumers we serve, DMH established the Healthy Changes Initiative.
The mission of the DMH Healthy Changes Initiative is to improve the quality of life, health and wellness of individuals at risk for illness and premature death and eliminate the significant health disparity among individuals with serious mental illness.
Included here are resources and tools to help improve the health and wellness of consumers served by DMH as well as information for everyone interested in making Healthy Changes.
- Healthy Changes Information Document
- Healthy Changes Resource Guide
- Healthy Changes Treatment Planning Guide
- Healthy Shopping - Healthy Eating Guide Northeast Area (PDF)
- Nicotine Assessment Introduction
- Nicotine Assessment
- Wellness Record Assessment - Weight Management
- Wellness Record Assessment - Physical Activity
- Wellness Record Assessment - Nicotine Cessation
- Healthy Changes Initiative NRI Power point (PPT) file size 6MB
- Healthy Changes Initiative Public Sector Powerpoint (PPT) file size 6MB
Metabolic Syndrome: What is it? A tool to help you know your numbers and find out if you are at risk
This information is provided by the Department of Mental Health