Telecommunication Relay Services
Individuals who are deaf, hard of hearing, late deafened, or speech disabled may access any of the Department of Mental Health's offices via the Massachusetts Relay Service (MassRelay). MassRelay is open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year, enabling hearing people or people who do not use a text telephone (TTY) to communicate over regular telephone lines with people who are deaf, hard of hearing, late deafened, or speech disabled.
A Relay Operator (OPR) will complete your call, dialing the party you wish to contact and then stay on the line to relay messages electronically via a TTY or verbally to people who can hear.
Relay Operators provide exact transcriptions of what they hear and speak what is typed to them, unless the caller directs them to do otherwise. All relay calls are confidential.
Voice/Speech to Speech Relay (STS)
To Place a Call Using MassRelay
- Dial 711 in Massachusetts or 1-800-439-0183 from anywhere. TTY users should dial 1-800-439-2370.
- A Relay Operator will answer the call. Inform the Relay Operator either verbally or via the TTY of the number of the person you are calling and the connection will be made.
- The Relay Operator will type the spoken words to the TTY and read/voice the typed words from the TTY back to the other party.
- Both the caller and the called parties should use "GA" or "Go Ahead" when they are finished typing/talking and are ready for the other person's response. GA or Go Ahead indicates that it is the other person's turn to converse.
- For further information contact MassRelay Customer Service at 1-800-720-3480 (TTY) or 1-800-720-3479 (Voice), or email to CustServ@MassRelay.org. Visit the MassRelay website at: www.mass.gov/massrelay
This information is provided by the Department of Mental Health
People also viewed...
You recently viewed...
Personalization is OFF. Your personal browsing history at Mass.gov is not visible because your personalization is turned off. To view your history, turn your personalization on.
Learn more on our .
*Recommendations are based on site visitor traffic patterns and are not endorsements of that content.