All death registrations are managed through the Vitals Information Partnership (VIP) Electronic Death Registration
System (EDRS). Families not working with a funeral home will assign a special designee to facilitate the processing
of the record by working directly with the medical certifier, the city/town clerk, and the burial agent. EDRS access
is not available for the general public.
Please email email@example.com if you have any questions.
The special designee will take n the role of a funeral director, and coordinate the completion of the death certificate
by the medical certifier, working with the city/town clerk for data entry of information into the EDRS, and obtaining
a burial permit.
The process will vary depending on whether the medical certifier and/or medical facility staff are online users of
EDRS or using the manual fax attestation process.
- Overview for Family Designees
- Quick Guide for Clerks – Preparing Records for Families Not Using a Funeral Home file size 3MB file size 12MB
- Medical Certifier Worksheet
- Informant Worksheet (Part A)
- Veteran Worksheet (Part B)
- Funeral Provider (Part C)
- VIP Electronic Death Registration System -Introduction and Overview file size 2MB
- Frequently Asked Questions Regarding the Issuance of Burial Permits and Disposition of Human Remains
- Burial and Cremation Information
- Primary Burial Agent Directory
V.I.P. Project Team
150 Mt. Vernon Street
Dorchester, MA 02125