The offices of the Massachusetts Registry of Vital Records and Statistics are open to the public for research purposes. We are located at:
150 Mt. Vernon Street
Dorchester, MA 02125-3105
Directions to the Offices.
MONDAY: 2:00pm - 4:30pm
TUESDAY: 9:00am - 12:00pm
WEDNESDAY: NO RESEARCH HOURS
THURSDAY: 2:00pm - 4:30pm
FRIDAY: 9:00am - 12:00pm
The cost for research is $9.00/hour.
Researchers can use the public indexes to birth, death, marriage and divorce records. Researchers may also examine birth, death and marriage records and extract information from public records. Certain Massachusetts records are restricted to the public.
The Registry also maintains an index of divorces from 1952 to the present. Copies of the divorce records are available from the probate court where the divorce was obtained. Click here to read the Registry's Access Policy .
Vital Records have been registered in Massachusetts since 1635. Statewide collection began in 1841. Records for events that occurred from 1841-1925 are available at the State Archives (617) 727-2816. Earlier records may be available at the City or Town of Occurrence.
A listing of contacts for out-of-state records can be found at the CDC.
- The Registry of Vital Records and Statistics maintains no indexes or records on the Internet. Records are only available on site at the Registry offices or at the city or town where the event occurred.
- Note that ONLY CERTIFIED COPIES of records are issued by the Registry of Vital Records and Statistics, regardless of intended use.
- For general information about research at the Registry of Vital Records and Statistics, call (617) 740-2600. For specific questions about the use of public indexes, the examination of records, extracting information from public records, record restrictions, and genealogical research facilities, call (617) 740-2600 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Cameras are NOT allowed in the research room.
- Children under the age of 12 are NOT permitted in the research room.
This information is provided by the Massachusetts Registry of Vital Records and Statistics within the Department of Public Health.