Boating can be fun and exciting, and taking appropriate safety measures will ensure that everyone has safe and relaxing time.
- Learn swimming and boating skills.
- Wear a comfortable and properly fitted U.S. Coast Guard approved life jacket.
- Watch the weather to prepare for storms. Because water conducts electricity, get off the boat and onto land if you see or hear a storm.
- Tell a family member or friend your boating trip plan in case of emergency. Tell them who is going on the boat, where you are going, and how long you will be gone.
- Never operate a boat while drinking alcohol or soon afterward.
- For more information, visit the National Safe Boating Council